Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And another .22 question.

And another .22 question.

Hi guys I have a BRNO Mod 2 EH it was shooting ok for a while and i decided to change scope however the scope i put on unknown to me as a novice was shifting zero,so lots of suggestions from people said float the barrel ,which i did,Give the crown a polish with a dremmel which i did,give the barrel a clean and scrub,done,try a new scope,done,I have it now I can get 3 out of a 5 shot mag in a 1" circle at 60 yds but the next 2 go about 5" high to the right,I am using winnie subs look forward to hearing your input,ps can some one explain to a novice best way to clean the breach and leave the bore alone if thats the best practice thanks.

dont want to kick a man while hes down but pesonaly i wouldnt have floated the as i dont think the mod 2 was a floated barel (could be wrong tho) and i certainly wouldnt have put a dremmel over the crown but those things are done now, if your managing to get a 1" grouping at 60 yrds tho the rifle must still be ok, i would check the tightness of your mounts and also your silencer if fitted as well make sure its tight on the barrel and that the rounds are not clipping it on there way through maybe even just take it off and see how it shoots without it on and also just try changing your ammo which acourding to your list are 3 things that you havnt tryed yet so who knows

"Groan" now if you change a scope an it suddenly all goes tits up surely one looks at the last thing changed ................................... in this instance the scope.

Frankly it's darned lucky you have not wrecked a decent rifle.

As a gunsmith said not long ago best thing to do with the Dremel is swing around your head by the cord until a decent speed it gained then let go!

Dremels and rifles are not a good mix. Handy for some things but rifles nope.

Sorry guys I was just following guys that i thought were in the know the barrel was not floating but touching at the end of the stock,guy said temp etc could be affecting it,thats why im searching for another,mounts are solid,this is with every 5 shots,seems when i take a pause say 3-5min it shoots better but if i fire off 5 rounds rapid all over the place thanks again for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Sorry guys I was just following guys that i thought were in the know the barrel was not floating but touching at the end of the stock,guy said temp etc could be affecting it,thats why im searching for another,mounts are solid,this is with every 5 shots,seems when i take a pause say 3-5min it shoots better but if i fire off 5 rounds rapid all over the place thanks again for the replies.
    Wow. What Brit said about being lucky and the scope. NEVER scrub a .22 barrel: and never clean any part of a firearm with anything motorized. In fact, don't clean the bore at all. Clean the breech and the bolt but not the bore.

What I hate about "mentors"? Some of them don't know crap.~Muir

PS: I used to test .22LR ammunition from my Brno#5 in the desert @ 124F and then the heat was a problem. Doubt you'd have a barrel heat problem in the UK in Spring time...
    Last edited by Muir; 03-06-2012 at 13:01.

Old saying once bitten twice shy what can be done to try and rectify the problem,how to i go about cleaning the breach bolt etc etc,thanks again.

Ok hope this comes out as I intend it too:-

I am sorry but it sounds like you need a proper "mentor" to take you under their wing and go through this with you.

You far to far away for me to offer to go through cleaning with you again sorry.

Do you have a small bore club or rifle club near you?

There must be someone within reasonable traveling distance to help guide you through it.

Meanwhile I'll try this:-

Get an old newspaper and lay it out flat covering a nice large area to lay your rifle upon. Take out bolt and magazine. Now with a toothbrush scrub the face of the bolt with a nitro powder solvent ( I use P-H 009) yes it will attack the bristles of the brush over time but so what they are cheap. Put aside on the paper to allow the solvent to soak the fouling. Do the same to the end of the barrel and breech area. Some solvent will run into the chamber no doubt just wipe it out late with a patch on a jag. Unless you tip the barrel downwards it won't get far.

For the stubborn crud found in the little corners I use a small screwdriver with the blade covered by a patch or wadded bit of kitchen towel. Carefully scrape out the crud for these corners then scrub again. With a cotton bud dipped into the solvent wipe the insides of the magazine and platform and allow to dry then wipe dry to remove any that has not dried or evaporated.

After it's all clean wipe dry. Apply a tiny smear of suitable grease or gun oil to the locking cam and lug surface and reassemble. You should not be able to see the oil or grease you use that little.

Wipe chamber with a dry clean patch.

shoot a couple of rounds to foul/season bore and test.

It's really not hard to do. Just think it through step by step and don't rush.

Thanks a lot for your kind advice,I dont have any clubs near hand so your advice is invaluable to me and any i get in future from so called mentors will be taken with a pinch of salt as they say,I just hope I havnt went to far with this little gun as I really like it thanks again for your input.

Hello blueeyes,

Sounds like you and me are the novice branch of the BRNO Mk.2 Owners Association!
    You will get all the help you need on here - everyone, it seems, has a softspot for the .22 even after they've moved onto bigger things!
    I've posted some really dumb questions on here since I bought my rifle 18 months ago, and always got sensible answers.

In my experiance, most grouping problems with a 22lr are normally sorted by changing the Mod, have you tried it with a different mod?

I had the same issue with my Anschutz 1416, had it re-crowned, this made a slight improvement and then replaced the parker hale mod with one off a mates rifle just to try it, shot as it should (easily clover leaf at 40yds) so put a different mod on and this cured the problem.

Tikkat3