Thread: early kid

early kid

Out stalking last week in SW Scotland I had a 1/4 - 1/3 grown roe kid run past me (twice), it was being chased closley by a doe and was sqeaking every few seconds, so I guess it was not mum putting it through its paces! Anyway, it had lost its spots as far as I could tell, although close (15m) it was running fast! Any guesses of how old it could be - I would guess it was dropped early ?

On another occasion I had the pleasure of watching two bucks sparring, they ran across the field in front of me (but just over the boundary) then spent ten minutes head to head, it was quite amusing as it was a little yearling and a bigger mature buck. The little lad would put his head down, the big buck would engage it antler to antler then easily push it backwards for a few metres. They would then stand and look at each other for a short time before the little lad, who was only the size of the older buck but very game, would again put his head down, they would slowly engage, just like a rugby scrum, then he would get pushed back again by the bigger buck. This happened four or five times before the little fellow decided to get out and just ran off, I think leaving the old buck stood there a bit non plussed at the events.

Nice few days away, plenty of yearlings showing, two of which went home with me, but the bigger lads were not showing so much. Saw quite a few does with obvious udders out and about feeding hard but no kids at heal yet.

I have seen a few now mate and think its because of the rut last year he had them chasing in early July then a quite spell as the weather went down then last August so it must have an effect on what happens the following spring

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    I have seen a few now mate and think its because of the rut last year he had them chasing in early July then a quite spell as the weather went down then last August so it must have an effect on what happens the following spring
    Do you think that would make any difference due to the does ablity to implant later in the year......

I would think so Nell weather has an effect on everything at both ends. Christ it was 27 deg last week and we woke up to a blood frost this morning. Some deer are in winter cost still and its June. IMHO yes i think it has a direct effect.