Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .300 Win Mag for Wild Boar in France?- UK licence problems

.300 Win Mag for Wild Boar in France?- UK licence problems

I am trying to vary my license to exchange my .3006 for .300 win Mag so that I can shoot boar in France and everywhere else with a rifle that is also usable as a back up for red stags in Britain. .300 WM seems the only non military callibre that will do for boar everywhere with readily available ammo. My police firearms officer questions whether .300 WM isnt "too big for boar"? I think that in some countries anything below .300 is not allowed for boar. Is this right? What is wrong with a .300 Wm with a 175 grain bullet?

Advice welcome.

That is just an excuse to try and push you towards a smaller calibre. One of the most popular boar calibres is the 9.3x74 (.366) so it is nonsense to say a .300 is too big for boar. Stick to your guns (pun intended) if you can, but if you must go 'smaller' ask for a 7mm mag, which is technically smaller but can be loaded with 175gr bullets and you won't notice the difference...

Why don't you give him a 180 grain 30-06 bullet and a 180 grain 300WM bullet plus a pair of callipers and ask him to show you exactly where the 300WM bullet is too large to fit into the chest of a boar that the 30-06 bullet will fit into?
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

The 300 Win Mag pushes a 180gr bullet at an ME of just under 4000 ft.lb. The 30-06 pushes the same bullet (and it is exactly the same bullet, as we all know) at a slightly less impressive, but still fairly hefty, 3000 ft.lb.

The idea of "overkill", or a calibre being "too big" is utter pish. Your good reason is that you can't use the 30-06 in France (it being a military calibre) and the 300 WM is the rifle that you believe will do the job best. That's good reason, it's not up to them to tell you what calibre to choose!

As already pointed out bot cartridges you are discussing are in fact the same calibre. It just happens one operates at a slightly different pressure and has a larger case capacity.

The fact that the FEO is not aware of such a simple basic fact is of course no surprise.

You have "good reason" in that there are places where the 300 WM is the smallest calibre allowed for boar, so if you get anything smaller you won't be able to shoot boar with them.

It really doesn't matter if the FEO thinks the 300WM is "too big" for boar, but if you want to convince him, have a search round on the net and find a picture of a boar's physiology. Show him the thickness of the muscle around the neck, and the thickness of the skull. Then show him a picture of the physiology of the Red deer. Much thinner musculature, thinner bone structure, altogether a softer target.

Now ask him to tell you if the 300 is overgunned for a boar!

If it is too much for boar why is it so popular in France with boar shooters? Incidentally I know a few people who have .300 win mag on ticket for deer in the U.K.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    You have "good reason" in that there are places where the 300 WM is the smallest calibre allowed for boar, so if you get anything smaller you won't be able to shoot boar with them.
    Which countries specify a .300 Win Mag minimum?

Thanks Guys, I will Persist. I think it is one of the Balcan Countrieshat specifies a minimum calibre of .300. Does anyone know this?

Most countries i've dealt with have no max and a minimum of 6.5
    Never heard of such twoddle.
    300 mag is a great pig platform.
    If they persist at been funny look at a 7mm rem mag shot all my boar but 1 with mine all shot dead.
    Not to large even on roe with correct bullet choice.
    Ammo just as easy to get as any magnum.