Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice wanted on 308 reloads

Advice wanted on 308 reloads

Ive got a new remy 700 with custom 26 inch armalon barrel,I've tried n150 and n140,I've tried max loads and came down from max loads and I am still getting bad cratering on primers,I am using scenars,some of these loads are well shy of expanding ammo data,is it quite the norm to get this in 308,I've never had this in any other caliber.

what weight scenars? what powder charges and what OAL ? also which primers? you are aware that scenars are relatively long for weight, and if you mount them to eg: SMK lengths they will go further into the case? any photos?
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

First things first ............................... slug the barrel to find out bore and groove diameters.

Armalon have the P-H barrel plant and P-H made some special tight bore barrels to shoot certain ammunition. After the closure of P-H some of these tight bore barrels ended up being sold off in the US. The do make nice precision grouping rifles as has been reported.

If you do have a tight bore this will elevate pressures especially with long bearing surface bullets.

F/l sized remy brass,fed match gold primer,43.4grs of n140 behind 155gr scenar,cartridge made to fit ai mag allowing about 10 fow room in the mag,head is sat 39 fow of lands,

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    F/l sized remy brass,fed match gold primer,43.4grs of n140 behind 155gr scenar,cartridge made to fit ai mag allowing about 10 fow room in the mag,head is sat 39 fow of lands,
    swaro.
    post your col and i will put your load into quickload and see what it comes up with
    at first glance it does not seem an exceptional load with most loaders around the 43gr mark for the same components. checking the lapua loading manual shows a max load using 41.2 gr with col of 71mm so with this in mind i would run your load up with a starting point 10% less than max. the symptoms you are getting are clearly excessive pressure so start low.
    Last edited by accurate; 03-06-2012 at 18:25.

Quote Originally Posted by accurate View Post
    swaro.
    post your col and i will put your load into quickload and see what it comes up with
    at first glance it does not seem an exceptional load with most loaders around the 43gr mark for the same components. checking the lapua loading manual shows a max load using 41.2 gr with col of 71mm so with this in mind i would run your load up with a starting point 10% less than max. the symptoms you are getting are clearly excessive pressure so start low.
    +1 you are on the high side unless you have worked up to it with your rifle, mine shoots a slightly higher load with 155 scenars but that is with my rifle after working up from 40grns
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Thanks guys for replies,double checked my log and I got it wrong,viht data shows 43.4gr of n140 as max load with scenars and I loaded them 44grs ,that's the first time in 10 years of reloading I've cocked up,just as well I write things down as I go,groupings were good even past the max ,just a shade over half inch at 100yds,hopefully it will shoot 1 hole groups now pressures reduced,I knew something was wrong,I am so careful what I am doing,nobody is allowed in my room when reloading so I can concentrate,not sure how I went wrong but I did ,atb swarovski
    Last edited by swarovski; 03-06-2012 at 21:40.

not sure how I went wrong but I did ,atb swarovski
    T'is because you are human and not a robot. Glad you discovered the problem .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    T'is because you are human and not a robot. Glad you discovered the problem .
    I agree with Brit. you found the issue so problem over. still happy to put your build into QL for you to give an idea what to expect when you run your load up for real.

Fire away accurate,can it tell me drops and elevation adjustments in moa from 100yd zero out to 1000yds aswell,that would be great help,tether day I tried downloading lapua ballistic calculator to my mobile but it would do it,my tocco lite probably too old,atb swarovski
    Last edited by swarovski; 04-06-2012 at 12:59.