South Africa

Peter Eaton

Just spoken to Michelle who is currently in Cape Town and looks like she has got us some shooting there for next time we go. Not sure on the details yet but her uncle and a couple of friends know alot of farmers, not sure on the areas yet or what they shoot. I know she mentioned Impala and Springbuck but apart from that I dont have a clue as only just found out. My questions are, are sound mods aloud in SA, are you able to take handloaded bullets on flight there?

Cheers

Pete

Yes sound moderator's are aloud in South Africa. Regarding homeloads, the company you choose to fly with wont have a clue about whether there factory or homeloads. Just state the amount and calibre.

Thanks for that Ian.......also Michelle just sent me a text from SA asking what she will be able to shoot over there with her .243 as she hasn't spoke to the guys in question yet, same goes for my 6.5x55..both will be home loaded with premium bullets, probably Nosler Partition or Corelokts.

That's the way I do it
I hav some very good friends in cape town and Hermanus
We got it local rates on a meat hunters package for springbok
For Kudu and Mountain reed buck we went to their relations farms in the Winterberg and neighbouring area's for Blesbok and other various
Best trip ever when you get treated as one of their own
Hospitallity was second to none
Has she paid a visit to Guns & Bows yet
I think it is the best gunshop in Cape town
Not massive but still worth a look
And the Whales should be showing well of the bay of Hermanus about now
Another day out worth looking at
Good luck Pete and both of you fill your boots
ATB

I would imagine you could being trying for Impala, Springbok, Bushbuck, Duiker, Gemsbok, Reedbuck with a .243 but thats just naming a few thats there. There is so much different species over there.

That's the way I do it
I hav some very good friends in cape town and Hermanus
We got it local rates on a meat hunters package for springbok
For Kudu and Mountain reed buck we went to their relations farms in the Winterberg and neighbouring area's for Blesbok and other various
Best trip ever when you get treated as one of their own
Hospitallity was second to none
Has she paid a visit to Guns & Bows yet
I think it is the best gunshop in Cape town
Not massive but still worth a look
And the Whales should be showing well of the bay of Hermanus about now
Another day out worth looking at
Good luck Pete and both of you fill your boots
ATB

Yes I think I went to that shop when I was in CT, if you want a much larger shop there was one near Stellenbosch if I remember correctly. We saw the whales last time I went but that was near Kalk Bay and Fish Hoek area, amazing site as the were 50 metres from the shore. Michelle found a place where you can hunt on meat hunters rates where they will prep all your kills for you, thats really what she wants to do as she want the meat cooking, she is actually from Cape Town hence she has just found out about folk her family know who shoot.

Cheers

Pete

I would imagine you could being trying for Impala, Springbok, Bushbuck, Duiker, Gemsbok, Reedbuck with a .243 but thats just naming a few thats there. There is so much different species over there.

Agree with all but the Gemsbok, I don't think a .243 has the conviction. They are big, heavy boned and are a bugger to get close to...
To the OP, the antelope your looking at I don't think you need the premium bonded bullets but it won't hold you back. They're thin skinned and light boned. Unless you step up to Kudu, Nyala, Gemsbok, Wildebees etc.

What will differ though is the ranges you'll be shooting at.

Last edited:
Back