Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What 6.5x55 bullet for moose?

What 6.5x55 bullet for moose?

Hi all.
    I would appreciate any info you guys may have on BULLETS you have found good in 6.5x55 for use on moose. Other load data would be good as well. This may not happen yet but I recently came back from Nova Scotia (Canada) where I met a guy who packs out moose as his winter job. He has invited me over to help with the packing and as reward should get the chance to shoot my own moose. I can use his rifle but as you may expect I would like to use my own, so thought I would get the info to make up some rounds before hand and get a little practice in.
    Thanks in advance.

160gr RN should work, but I'm sure Muir can give better statistics and history to back it up. The Swedes have been using 6.5x55 with 160's for years to kill moose...

I would have thought some Lapua 155 Grain Mega would do the job. They have a very good sectional density so will penetrate well.

Yorkie.

The european manufacturer's are the way to go.
    heavy round nose bonded.
    megas
    sako super hammerheads
    and norma oryx or similar.
    the are loaded up compared to US stuff also.
    prepare for a shock when you price them though, most heavy weights will shoot very well in a swede, enough accuracy for moose anyway.
    P.s if you re not sorted on a trip yet I have 4 dates away in finland and sweden where moose feature still some places left.

The Hornady 160 grain RN is my choice. They will travel lengthwise through a mule deer at reasonable ranges. How far are you planning on shooting??~Muir

Dont forget good old prvi ammo if you wanted to save load development/cash, they do a 156gn round nose, and they are very accurate in my mates Tikka, might be worth a try mate at 12 quid a box??

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Dont forget good old prvi ammo if you wanted to save load development/cash, they do a 156gn round nose, and they are very accurate in my mates Tikka, might be worth a try mate at 12 quid a box??
    I use these in mine but they are very slow.

Established Poster
    The Norma 156 grain round nose bullets are very accurate in my two 6.5x55's and .264 mag, if you don't want to reload just get a box of Norma factory 6.5x55 Alaska, the name says it all.
    Robert.

Norma 155 gr work or reloads with Hornady 160 gr.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    I would have thought some Lapua 155 Grain Mega would do the job. They have a very good sectional density so will penetrate well.

Yorkie.
    +1 for Lapua Mega, I use it in 6.5x55 & 30-06, an excellent bullet and very popular over here in Norway for moose, red deer, reindeer and roe deer.

There's a bit of an ongoing debate with a few member in our hunting team regarding the Norma Oryx, we have witnessed large amounts of meat damage so some believe that they may be a little bit on the soft side! I'm no expert on ballistics or bullet composition/performance so just telling you as I have heard!
    Last edited by Jonher; 06-06-2012 at 09:09.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here