Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do hares need to be culled, like deer?

Do hares need to be culled, like deer?

I was wondering what people's feeling were on this.........

Depends on number I suppose. We leave them alone here but are noticing an increase. They'll knock he'll out of a cover crop if you let em. 1 hare = 3 rabbits.

Yes , they can become a real pest for farmers and forresters also if they are left unchecked for too long they tend to become inbred and develope problems like bent legs . That said , they need controling at the right time of year , we tend to drives hares in febuary to reduce numbers prior to them breeding , this way the beaters get some sport , numbers are reduced over night and the hares are sold at a good price . This is far better than killing them now , when they cant be sold , and leaving them to rot

I leave them alone as much as is possible. If the owner wants them dealt with then so be it.

But being a lurcher man, shooting them really goes against the grain for me.
    To me they should be left as much as poss..

Having visited Loncolnshire a couple of years ago I would say yes. I was on a foxing trip and washed shocked when we lit up a field of greens. 20 plus hare in a Lightforce 170.

However here in Derbyshire they are left. 1 Hare in 4 hours of lamping is nice to see. Circs dictate.

We tend to leave ours alone, fun to watch them boxing in March

The problem with hares is yes they are nice to see but they attract the wrong sort of people (Dogmen). In my neck of the woods word soon gets round to the dogmen about hare numbers so if there are no hares you don't tend to get much bother.

It is such a shame the hares have to be shot just to keep these scum bags off the land.
    If at first you don't succeed, reload

We have 100's of them on the shoot. If the numbers build up too high they will start to die of diesase like gamebirds. if your densities are very high and you are having deaths you should cull a few.

Not that many around where I shoot mainly rabbits, although I really dont have a problem with people shooting hares I personally dont shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneinthepub View Post
    The problem with hares is yes they are nice to see but they attract the wrong sort of people (Dogmen). In my neck of the woods word soon gets round to the dogmen about hare numbers so if there are no hares you don't tend to get much bother.

It is such a shame the hares have to be shot just to keep these scum bags off the land.
    +1 Have shot the same land for 15 or 20 years and never touched a hare until 12 months ago.The landowner now wants em blitzing just to keep off the dogmen.