Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Factory vs Reloads

Factory vs Reloads

I don't reload, and I got the following group with my new rifle and scope yesterday at 100yds using factory Sako expanding 100gr in .243.
    Yes, I know the group is up and to the left but pretty pleased with the grouping - do I actually need to reload?

Attachment 16073Attachment 16074

Tis a very good question mate! personally yes! factory loads are ok depending on make!! but if i am shooting i for sure want to know the round is going bang on where i am aiming! also depends how much you shoot, this is a 200 yd zero in home loads x bolt 243, pulled the 5th shot, all depends on what you want.

cheets stu.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	243%20load.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	16075
    Last edited by speedystu; 04-06-2012 at 07:25.

Not with that box you don't, but can you rely on buying a box performing like that every time? Very unlikely.
    What if you can't get the same make ammo? Re-zero & hope the group isn't too bad?
    It's a good group though.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

do you need to reload? maybe not but

the better question is:

how much money will you save if you reload? I reload SST's in 308 for about 75p each so after 100 shots I'm saving £80 compared to shop prices

Shoot it at 200 & 300 then ask the same question!
    But at the end of the day if your happy with that group then it matters not.
    You haven't said what rifle,what scope,if that was the best my custom rifle could achieve then I would be dissapointed.

As Deeangeo has mentioned you cannot rely on factory to give you consistency.

regards
    Now

Thanks - interesting comments and all valid, particularly wih regard to the many potential benfits reload vs. accuracy/consistency/cost. I'm going to do a reloading course at our local rifle club (hopefully) soon, I feel I may get sucked in....

Would love to start reloading, its just the set up costs that are holding me back.

Quote Originally Posted by news of the world View Post
    Shoot it at 200 & 300 then ask the same question!
    But at the end of the day if your happy with that group then it matters not.
    You haven't said what rifle,what scope,if that was the best my custom rifle could achieve then I would be dissapointed.

As Deeangeo has mentioned you cannot rely on factory to give you consistency.

regards
    Now
    Sako 85 Varmint stainless laminated unmodified in .243, Swarovski Z6i gen2 2,5-25x56 BT SR, Apel mounts, Atec Maxim moderator. Shooting with standard trigger pull (it has the set-trigger but didn't use it yesterday), slight cross-wind, on Harris bipod using Sako expanding 100gr factory loads.

Dont kid yourself that you will save money!! When you start reloading you will but the gear, then more gear (it gets you that way). You will fire tens if not hundreds of rounds developing loads, then redeveloping them, then improving them. You will then find you cant get the same bullets/powder etc so develop and alternate. Finally you will shoot more bullets as you believe they are cheaper so why not!!! I shoot in excess of 1000 rounds of CF per year and although I am sure they are cheaper each I would have only fired a few hundred prior to reloading. To me the real benefit is I get to fire all those extra rounds.

For stalking the extra accuracy at 200-300 SHOULD be largely irrelevant. Shooting deer is far more about finding them and getting the shot off than it is about sub MOA placement.

Reloading is a seperate hobby decide wether you want to on its own merits.

( bit like owning a landrover, you tell yourself its to drive it whereas really its cos you are a closet mechanic s you'll spend as much time tinkering as you ever will driving it)