Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Freelander TD4 or Discovery TD5

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar

Freelander TD4 or Discovery TD5

After some honest opinions of those who own either.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Stay away from freelanders unless you enjoy working on landrovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    What crap. I've owned a 2002 TD4 for three years now and not had a bit of bother with it. Use it for day to day and stalking trips to Scotland. Had a P38 RR before this for 12 years. That taught me the meaning of fiscal pain!. Great to drive, though!.
    Also use a 300tdi Disco for work. Wouldn't have anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Was it a TD4 though? Not the petrol.....
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    After some honest opinions of those who own either.

TJ
    I owned a TD5 Disco had it from new and it lived upto the TD5 reputation 8 years old or 90k on the clock and they become a problem they are not as good as the TDi disco. I have at the moment a late 59 plate Defender 110 at 2 years old Land Rover had it back six months in total for warranty works the curtesy cars i was given were New TD4 Freelanders and in my opinion they are not a good off road vehicle. Have seen many bogged down where other 4x4 have gone over the ground easily. Land Rover ain't what they used to be. I have Toyota Hilux on order should soon be taking delivery and won't be driving new Land Rovers again. If its a shooting truck you want the Suzuki Jimney will pee all over a Freelander or Disco and cheaper to buy. Go to any 4x4 off road track and watch them in action you may change your mind about a Landy. Landrover's are heavy on diesel compaired to Japanese 4x4's.

Kind regards Jimbo
    Last edited by Jimbo 30 06; 04-06-2012 at 11:30.

We've had a TD4 for about five or six years, I wouldn't say it has run faultlessly but we don't regret buying it. The diff shock absorbers have needed replacing - which I did myself, parts were about 50 and the cam sensor also needed replacing 30 again I did the work myself. The car is great on ice and snow especially the descent control function, the ride on "normal" roads is very good and I think the design still looks well against more modern stuff. Ours is a diesel (obviously) and an auto gearbox which again I can recommend. Did I say we also buy it off Fleabay at a snip.....

Stay away from early freeloaders. Later ones might be better though.

Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
    Stay away from early freeloaders. Later ones might be better though.

Bryan.
    Looking at 51/02 Plates in both models.

Ok TJ thats exactly what I have Td4 commersial. Nothing but bother. For what it is it is brilliant off-road.
    Road tyres,no low box,lacking ground clearance but still good in my opinion.
    Good engine so far 77,000 miles, but so many other problems. On 60,000 miles two new fuel pumps and 4 years later on 77,000 another new pump with a warning that the other being same age could give out any time now.
    66,000 new clutch,flywheel and crankshaft pulley 1800. It already had new master cylinder and slave replaced.
    Probably most nigling though are track rod ball joints and bits that wear out and rattle that need replacing
    every 18 months. Still original exhaust,alternator and starter, Battery lasted 9 years.
    Lovely to drive when rattles and clonks are sorted but always something to replace.
    GOOD LUCK.

Bryan.

Although it seems 243 jack has been lucky, Freelanders are notoriously unreliable. Just do a Google search and the full horror will become apparent.
    The TD4 Engine is fine but the rest of the car will fail. The ABS system is prone to problems and the rear door will leak like the Titanic, the viscous coupling will seize and break the IRD etc etc.
    Surprisingly sure footed off road though, i had mine in some very awkward spots. Ground clearance is not good but traction is excellent.
    Make sure if you buy from private that the rear prop shaft is fitted. Not unusual when presented with big repair Bills for new VC to just remove it along the the shaft and run as a 2wd.
    If you look at a Disco of that age make sure it has a Diff Lock.Land Rover stopped fitting/connecting them about 01-02 and relied purely on the TC system. Not good in my opinion.
    Just my 2p anyway and others may well disagree.

Yorkie