Lungs

User00004

I took my Dad out today on the bit of ground I got, the aim was to get him onto a deer but as it happens the one we took off the ground I shot.

It was a yearling doe, fairly small and before I started to gralloch her, I was sure she wouldn't be pregnant.

When I opened her up, she was pregnant, much to my surprise, she was carrying a single doe about 12cm in length. Once I removed the green gralloch, I split the diaphram to remove the pluck, on doing this I immediatley noticed her lungs were extremely pink, I have not noticed this before, certinally not this pink, once the pluck was removed, I did the usual inspection etc, her right lung was 2/3rds the size of the left lung and had strange purple blemishes on it. It appeared to have been split also, instead of a complete lung, it was whats best described as an 80/20% split.

The Doe was neck shot so it's not damage from the shot.

Here a couple of pics although they are not the best.

RoeLung01.jpg

RoeLung03.jpg

Pink is good, probably due to the fact it was neck shot, the deer would bleed well and little or no blood would be inhaled....

NELL

They just seemed to be "To Pink", I've neck shot lots, but can't remember the lungs being this pink.

Cheers for the reply, any ideas to what the blotches are and why the lung is so much smaller?

Cheers

TJ

Tj.
MORENO, is the expert on these matters , Await his input !Personally I would have been more concerned if everything was on the dark side, lungwise , I appreciate bruising and bleed ,as Nell said .AS A SMART ARSED SMOKER , IF MY BITS WHERE AS PINK AS THOSE DISPLAYED I WOULD EAT ME !!!! Also be ulrtra chuffed.
OR !!!!
Trapper

Hi Trapper,
You weren't listening when muddy threw that question at me on dog day. :)
As you neck shot this animal there are major blood vessels there which would have transferred pressure waves down them. As the capillaries in the lungs are very close around the air sacks they would have ruptured leading to this bleeding. An easy way to check is squeeze a portion of the lung that is showing this and more blood than usual will be expressed it may even be bubbly. If you look at a skinned carcass closely you will occasionally notice small blood spots on the surface of muscles, of no consequence
If you pm me your address will dispatch some b for you and Freya.

Back