Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: medium range rabbits

medium range rabbits

hello all
    i am looking at getting a 22 hornett for medium range rabbits (300-350). the reason for the hornett is because the cost factor it would be cheaper to feed than say a 204 or a 223. was wondering two things

(1) what are peoples taughts
    (2) is there a calibre i have over looked.

i already have a 22lr, 6.5x55. i also want it for the odd bit of foxing out to a max of 200/250 mtrs.
    any taughts would be a great help
    thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by tikka 3006 View Post
    hello all
    i am looking at getting a 22 hornett for medium range rabbits (300-350). the reason for the hornett is because the cost factor it would be cheaper to feed than say a 204 or a 223. was wondering two things

(1) what are peoples taughts
    (2) is there a calibre i have over looked.

i already have a 22lr, 6.5x55. i also want it for the odd bit of foxing out to a max of 200/250 mtrs.
    any taughts would be a great help
    thanks in advance
    I used a Hornet regularly in the Sixties and they were good on Fox to about 150yds. To hopefully shoot Rabbits to 300-350yds is totally a dream with a Hornet.

Jimbo

The 22 hornet is not up to the job at those ranges mate - there are bigger & meaner calibres for that.

The standard fodder for the hornet is the 35 grn Vmax - These have a pi55 poor BC and plummet after 220 yrds.
    The 40 grn Vmax are abit better - but often dont fit inside the mags of most rifles - and are still hopeless at 300 yrds anyway - both bullets are effected by the gentlest of breezes at 300 yrds.

If you want to shoot at longer ranges - do the job properly - get the correct calibre and pay a few pence more per shot.

Look at a 17 CF rifle - 20 Cal or 223 - All of them up to the job.

Alan
    Last edited by sir-slots-alot; 04-06-2012 at 14:53.

Wouldn't bother with the hornet for that range, will be totally useless, best efficient range on the hornet is a 100 yds for decent grouping, best bet get a .204, 223 or 17 CF and a good scope to shoot over with, in all honesty unless you head shoot em, they won't be anything left to use. better off with paper targets rather than waste a rabbit at that range, unless the conditions are right I would stick to the range for that distance of shooting

As a comparison, I have / use a .22 lr rabbits to 85 yds + and a .22 WMR rabbits out to 125 yds head shots, that is a good distance for rabbit control and really good shooting practice for 100 yds ranging, you can do that under all most any conditions and keep the rabbits in good condition and that distance gives you a brilliant control area as they don't know you're there, and miles cheaper than a CF and you get to sell on the rabbits to buy ammo - perfick
    Last edited by philip; 04-06-2012 at 18:06.

i have to agree with the above post.Really better with the .17 center fire nice and flat or .223 204 etc

Going to start a bun fight here but for the range your talking about and if cost is an issue then 222 or 223 may be more suitable for your requirments. Go 223!!!

Get a 22-250 you carnt go wrong with this hot rod of a round its faster and flater than any 204, 223 or 222 it will wvwn out perform any 17 cal at the rangers you wish to shot at.

Why do you need to shoot rabbits from so far away? can't you get nearer?

Quote Originally Posted by nicholiath View Post
    Why do you need to shoot rabbits from so far away? can't you get nearer?
    Here we go, have you ever thought that he might not want to get any nearer!

Ian

Much as I love my 22 Hornet, and it is my most used rifle, once past 200 yards for rabbits there are better calibre's available.
    While the Hornet will reliably kill foxes at 250 yards with a decent bullet (40 grain Nosler) you will be single loading them.
    40 and 45 grain soft point have a far better BC than the 35 grain v-max, and are better for rabbits if you want something
    left to eat, the drop at range would be a complete mare to work out for fleeting shots at departing bunnies.
    For a long while I have been using a .223 for the use you describe, but have just got a slot for a 6mm PPC as a replacement, and
    it will become my dedicated fox rifle, the hornet will still be my ready to go walk about gun though.

Neil.