Thread: ASE Utra or T8

ASE Utra or T8

After some advice chaps, I want to get a moderator for my .270 should i go for the T8 reflex over barrel or the ASE Utra sl5 stainles. Would one be better than the other as regards noise reduction and would the greater internal size of the T8 be better with regards recoil reduction. Cheers Shaun

Bias - as RFDs we highly recommend ASE & ATEC and personally have quite unnatural 'warm fuzzy' feelings for my Ase S5.

T8 is physically much bigger and heavier. Probably just edges SL5 on a 270 for noise reduction, but it's not going to be that much practical difference between the two.

SL5 will be easier to look after and no risk of over barrel bushing shine on the barrel.

Recoil wise, baffles are about the same in terms of gas impingement reduction of recoil, but the extra weight of the T8 hanging on the end of the barrel will make more difference on recoil front. Either are going to be a marked improvement - in recoil terms - over a bare barrel.

Is the weight issue a major consideration? Ascetically what your preference?
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

im putting a pes t12 on my 270 as an alternative to look at as well.

ATB Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post

Is the weight issue a major consideration? Ascetically what your preference?
    Well the rifle will be my first stalking rifle so although weight (a few grams here and there) is not a great issue use off sticks may be better balanced with a lighter mod. Only just got the rifle so haven't used it yet. I did use an estate rifle in .270 fitted with a T8 and didn't think the recoil was much different than my 22/250 with a T8. But I must say the fact that the ASE is stainless does appeal to me over the T8.

i have both t8 and ase utra northstar
    nothing really in it imo
    one rots and one doesn't
    both calm down recoil ,both reduce noise well ,both look pig ugly on a sporting rifle .
    i dont like earmuffs so how much is your hearing worth
    regards norma

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    i have both t8 and ase utra northstar
    nothing really in it imo
    one rots and one doesn't
    both calm down recoil ,both reduce noise well ,both look pig ugly on a sporting rifle .
    i dont like earmuffs so how much is your hearing worth
    regards norma
    Now thats an honest opinion if ever i heard one. lol. I had asked my RFD to order an ASE but on the way home was unsure if the smaller mod would be up to the T8 but sounds like i may have made the correct choice. thanks Shaun

just a quick thought . I agree too its about balance and not necessarily weight . Therefore I found a longer over barrel mod dispersed the weight better and felt more balanced than an end can . Why not go for the atec cmm4 . Now thats light!!

atb steve

Shaun

Northstar appreciably heavier than SL5 - so would be much closer in terms of balance to a T8.

In terms of looks - funny old world that it is, a few people have said they felt the SL5 was a bit too small!

Let us know how you get on.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Without doubt, I would have the SL5.

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    Shaun

Northstar appreciably heavier than SL5 - so would be much closer in terms of balance to a T8.

In terms of looks - funny old world that it is, a few people have said they felt the SL5 was a bit too small!

Let us know how you get on.
    Will do my one arrives thursday