Article: Stalking Directory Help for Heroes Shoot at Monmouth

Half way through loading a fresh batch of .30-06 for Sunday... they are extra shiny.... the glint will put the opposition off! :D

Alex

I hope you have waterproofed that ammo Alex because even in the tunnel with the amount of rain we have had over the last week or so your powder could get wet.
It's a good job that we are shooting inside or you may need a snorkel to shoot the prone section. :rofl:

Just a reminder to everyone that we want to start the first detail around 10a.m. on Sunday with the intention of finishing shooting around 4.30p.m. at the latest, but if it's like last year with people still eager to shoot it may go on a bit longer. We have to consider those that have long journeys to make so there is no need for everyone to be at the range right from the start as it is a re-entry shoot with no fixed times, but I would like to finish fairly early this year once again in consideration for those that have to travel some distance.
One last reminder and that is to bring your sence of humour with you in addition to your money. Most of us don't take it too seriously but I've just heard that a certain young gentleman from Somerset has been practising all week and is eager to get the trophy back over his fireplace. I must remember to alter the sights on my .222 before he borrows it this year.

See you all on Sunday, and have a safe journey.

Mike.

I wonder where you heard that mike oops :-|
not sour grapes or anything but I hope he doesnt win as im travelling with him and you can
imagine the crowing on the journey home :D regards pete

Mike that just goes to show you can't believe everything you hear, sounds like pre planned excuses from the soon to be ex holder to me. Been a bit windy for practice down here although I did check the rifles on monday and they are shooting ok. Looking forward to a good laugh on sunday, see you all there.

Sounds like its a two horse race, but i know of an outsider who i will have my money on.;)

Are you bringing your .45-70 again Steve?

I might bring mine for a laugh too :D

Just to let you know that I popped into The Sportsman in Newport this morning to pick up a couple of things prior to the H4H shoot tomorrow Sunday 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] June and they once again made a very generous contribution to the prizes for the draw. Their continued support is very much appreciated and I would like to convey my thanks to my namesake Mike Evans and Sean from the Sportsman, and to all the others who have contributed to the H4H event. I will at a later date thank everyone in detail who have continued to make this event a success.
If anyone is passing the range tomorrow but have not entered the event there is still the opportunity to pop in and buy tickets for the prize draw which as in previous years has some very valuable prizes to be won such as the roe stalking contributed by Roedinator and the quadsticks donated by limulus to name but a few. There is also the opportunity to try the lamb roast that Macberran is providing. I can tell you now that that alone is well going out of your way for. This is a lamb that Macberran has raised on his own farm and has donated and even cooked for the event.

Thanks again Mike & family for a well organized shoot ran like clockwork & raised a good sum for a good charity h4h enjoyed by all , enjoy your day with Pete you deserve it thanks Steve.

Thanks again Mike & family for a well organized shoot ran like clockwork & raised a good sum for a good charity h4h enjoyed by all , enjoy your day with Pete you deserve it thanks Steve.

+1.

Another great day, with great craic and great gossip. Good to see the SD Trophy go north - it will give the Somerset Massive something to work for next year - well done Miffy.
Big thanks to Mike, Beth, Charlie, Dave, Richard and MDRC - not forgetting MacBerran and the outstanding scoff, cheers mate.
It's good to know that as climate change accelerates and large game starts to roam the Cheshire plain there are folk about with a suitable calibre to keep the elephant population under control.

Just to echo what's already been said, great day with huge thanks to mike and family + macberran for the best lamb I remember eating. My scores just go to show pete was lying about practising!

Yes well done and big thanks to Mike, Beth, Dave and the rest at Monmouth and District for another successful day and to Macberran for the delicious lamb!

Congrats to Miffy for snatching the SD trophy from Somerset for the first time. 299/300, a tough score to beat!

Had a great day and enjoyed putting some very big holes in the roe targets :D

Alex

excellent day out as allways thanks to all at monmouth rifle club for all your work to make it such a
great succes .
well shot miffy cracking score that mate
nice to meet up with friends old and new for a good old chin wag regards pete .

Thanks again Mike & family, for a brilliant day down the tunnel!, & Macberran's Lamb roast was top gear, ( I had two!);) just to make sure it was really that good!.. only took the 45/70 this year, just for the fun factor, tried my mate Flyboy270's (Mike), .338 Mag (only been boresighted roughly),.. made a good bookend experience against the 45 boomer! I hope to find a scope to stand up to the boomer for next year,We met some nice people too!...... be good too hear the final total for our heroes.

Well done Miffy, as said a great score and a hard one to beat !
Nice to see faces old and new.
Great to meet Mike (NDT) and Gail his good lady who stayed with us just for the event (I will get that crow at the henhouse Mike ).
Thanks for all the kind comments about the lamb its appreciated.
Well done to Mike and family for organizing a great day.

Well guys the good news is that we raised around £915 for Help for Heroes so far, with a few more pledges and promised monies still to come in. My wife will be applying for charity matched giving from her employers who have a scheme that could just donate of up to an additional £500 if we are lucky, but let’s not count our chickens just yet as regards that. The other good news is that as well as all the old reprobates we met a few more site members this year and they all met the required standard of being genuinely nice people so should fit in well with the rest of you.
Just like the last two years most of us brought a sense of humour with us and it was as well the way that some of us shot (just joking). The banter is improving if not the shooting. That can’t be said for Miffy as he took this event seriously and put in some excellent scores, the result is that the trophy is not returning to Somerset this year which I suppose is just as well because the two previous winners BenC and Roedinator were travelling together. They have quite a friendly rivalry going in respect of all shooting matters and I had the feeling that if one of them had won again there might have been a falling out and someone would be looking for bus fare home.
I was particularly proud of the scores that my 12 year old daughter put in. She has been shooting for about six months now and her first card was a 90 her third a 93. Nerves got the better of her on the second card and she only scored in the seventies and was bitterly disappointed with that despite it being better than some of the more senior shooters. Incidentally it is a H.O. approved range and she is a club member so no problems with legality.

Macberran did us proud once again on the catering front and I really can’t thank him enough for that. I also can’t thank him enough for donating the proceeds of the let on his holiday cottage this week-end which he donated to the cause. There are some people that throw themselves fully into a cause and Macberran not only does that but does so with his entire family being volunteered also. Simply brilliant Macberran you and the family certainly deserve a very special mention in despatches at the very very least.

The whole success of the event as far as raising funds for H4H goes relies heavily on the good will and generosity of site members and others. Those such as Roedinator who donated a day roe stalking as a prize, Limulus who donated a set of Quad Sticks, Teckel a knife set, Schultz bottles of wine and others who are named on my list which my GWP pup has just sneaked off the desk and eaten so please forgive me for not naming you all individually. Those are just the individuals that have donated prizes this year there are others who should not be forgotten that have donated previously and whose contributions have not been forgotten and are still much appreciated. I also must not forget to make special mention to the Sportsman Gun Centre in Newport who once again donated prizes for the event and who gave me a ticking off for not approaching them direct when organising this year’s event. They have been very supportive in the past and continue to do so and as a result should continue to receive our custom in the future.

Disregarding the fund raising aspect this shoot continues to bring the site members closer together and is the one thing that has given me the greatest joy. Though I have to admit that by late yesterday afternoon my brain was cooked my spirit weakened and I was glad to pack all my gear in the car and toddle off home happy that it was over for another year and hadn’t been an entire flop. I had to pass “my local” on the way home and was only too happy to stop to rehydrate with a shandy something that I intend to do again tonight after exercising the pup who has decided it’s that time of the day.

Hope to see you all again next year!

P.S. Finnbear sort that bloody scope out, you’ve ruined my targets with that darn .45-70, my wife reckons that you don’t take this competition serious enough.

Last edited:
Just found the remains of my notes that the pup stole off my desk. I forgot to mention buckup who drove for over three hours to help Macberran with the roast and just like macberran missed out on the shooting because he had to get away. Buckup will be organising the tee shirts again this year so if you want a commerative tee shirt please order them direct from him.

Good craic,best lamb I've ever had,a good realistic shooting test for stalkers (prone ,sitting,kneeling standing etc)
Good friendly atmosphere and I came home with a prize
I think I enjoyed it !!
A big thank you to all who made it work so well
James

Back