Thread: stone fireing crossbow

stone fireing crossbow

Hi every one
    I have just being offered a old crosbow that shoots lead balls or stones .
    Has any one used one of these ?.
    I have not shot it as i am unsure about the string in case it snaps! or the prod lets go etc. It was made circa 1870's and they want 450.00 for it any help would be much appreciated .

Bob

for that sort of money it must be a full custom model then not some semi custom sheckled together thing
    no seriously have a look on the web see what comes up ,i wouldnt want to actually use in case it breaks could be costly to repair
    regards
    doug

Haven't used one but made up the string for one many years ago but before I could use it the stock was damaged in a move, life intervened and the project was shelved. I'd be interested to see pictures if possible. 16th Century stonebows had a curved stock and a light steel bow which was bent by hand. 17th century stonebows had a straight stock and were bent with a lever fixed to the stock. There was also a more modern English bullet shooting crossbow from approx 1800 - 1840 which was bent by hand. I would think that yours is probably one of the latter as some would have continued to be made for a while before superseded by rook and rabbit rifles. Not particularly powerful weapons but good for rook shooting.

There is also a Belgian Target crossbow which has a slotted barrel about 5/8" dia bore which used lead balls. The string in these is a single string and works along the slot. They were generally used with lead bullets and were stronger and heavier than the English one and needed a separate lever to cock them. I haven't handled one of these but I'm sure the barrels were smooth bore and the bullets were a loose fit only. A stonebow or an English bullet shooting crossbow has a has a double string separated by two sets of pegs (generally ivory or hardwood) and a pouch is formed between the pegs to hold the stone. There is a loop on the back of the pouch to catch unto the nut with early bows or tumbler with later bows.

I have Ralph Payne-Gallwey's book on the subject if you want any info an making up strings or parts for it.

Bob

Hi Bob

The English bow you described sounds the same as the one i am looking at it also has a cocking lever built in to the stock.
    Are these bow's very common and do you know how much they go for ?

Many thanks
    Bob

Don't think there are too many about that aren't in private collections. Payne-Gallwey reconed they were 12 - 15 guineas when new so reasonably expensive at the time. I don't know current prices but here is a link to two that are coming up for auction, if in good condition seems like a good price. I would like one but can't justify one. If going to use an original be sure the stock is sound - read the sample of the book in the last link below.

http://www.invaluable.com/catalog/se...ALSE&cs=0&ns=1

Here are links to sites giving info and showing some stone and bullet firing crossbows, the last link is to a modern book and you can preview the first 36 pages or so. The author had similar problems to me when I was making my bow but I suffered no injury, I was using a dural bow, no problems with that but a lot of forces close to your head. A bit like using a bull pup rifle - ok so long as nothing goes wrong.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...bulletbow.html

http://www.crossbowmen.com/index.htm.other-crossbow-designs.html

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780811701563

Quote Originally Posted by reiver View Post
    Hi every one
    I have just being offered a old crosbow that shoots lead balls or stones .
    Has any one used one of these ?.
    I have not shot it as i am unsure about the string in case it snaps! or the prod lets go etc. It was made circa 1870's and they want 450.00 for it any help would be much appreciated .

Bob
    I have never come across one of these but did a bit of research and there are modern ones that shoot ball bearings so the idea has not died out. If you want some advice I would speak to the company selling these new ones More Crossbows Than Anyone! Unbeatable UK Crossbows Prices FREE Targets! hope this helps.