Thread: gillie suit

gillie suit

can anyone advise me on a good make of gillie suit and a type if any as i have no idea thanks

There are many types out there if you do an internet search.

The finest type bar non is one you make yourself, but this takes time...... Alot of time.

To give you an idea, I made one (jacket only); it took over 2 months!

They are heavy, warm and cumbersome, but they are fantastic for getting close to your quarry.

Quote Originally Posted by shep7376 View Post
    There are many types out there if you do an internet search.

The finest type bar non is one you make yourself, but this takes time...... Alot of time.

To give you an idea, I made one (jacket only); it took over 2 months!

They are heavy, warm and cumbersome, but they are fantastic for getting close to your quarry.

I would agree, tailoring your own suit to your particular area is the way. But it is time consuming.

I suggest you start by purchasing a Web tex concealment vest to which you can add/stitch or attach brulap or other strips of material. The concealment vest cost about 38 and are readily available on line, one size fits all.

My eldest son also has a ghillie suit which was purchased on line. It is excellent and very effective when he is out with the airrifle, unfortunately his type is very prone to being caught up in brambles and alike. The degree of concealment has to be seen to be believed and is very good if your on a stake out with an air rifle, will fool magies, carrions and buzzards!

D

survival aids at penrith is the place

Google - Stalker Sniper Suit
    I got mine from tacfire systems or rifle cases as they were then. They also do a kit version for about half the price.
    Whatever you go for, just make sure you go for jute, its heavier and will get wet but much better than the synthetic versions.

My mate has one of these ghillie suits but it's just like velcro, everything and anything gets stuck in it, so in the end he stopped using it.

I decided to go for one of the X3M1 3D camouflage pull over suits and it works great, I now have two, one in spring green and one in white. They're easy to pull on/off, really lightweight and pack up very small.

There's a review here:
    X3M1 Camo Clothing review | Camo Clothing Reviews | Gunmart

There a couple of video of the X3M1 suit in action here:
    Spring Green:

Winter:

I think Jack Pyke does something similar:
    http://jackpyke.co.uk/index.php?act=...productId=1558
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

I am a ex- brit army sniper..made a few in the past..but to buy you cant get better than these..not cheap but are the best ive used..and still do to this day..but can be heavy esp when wet...also use lose leaf camo like the ones in above vids..again they are very good.

http://www.snipersystems.co.uk/id15.html

I have the exact same one mickyfinn points to, albeit a US made version. As he says, well made, and pack in and out easily. Even pre-made, these things can do with a little dressing up and customizing for your personal tastes, terrain and needs...

Also, bury the damn thing in the ground for a few days. Seems to be the only way to get the chemical smell out of them, and has the added benefit of blending the local color of dirt into the thing....

JMTCW...