Thread: Striped sling stud

Striped sling stud

Looking for the best way to repair an over size hole for the front stud on a wooden stock ?

Insert wooden dowel (using suitable glue) and start again.

Or, use threaded version of sling stud with piece of aluminium inserted into barrel channel base to thread into.

I glued one in with a smear of 2 part epoxy once. That worked ok.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Get the machine screw stud and ferrule from people like Uncle Mikes. The ferrule is set into the stock inside the barrel channel so the face is just below the surface of the wood and the machine screw stud screws into it from underneath. One installed the ferrule cannot be seen and rifle looks normal.

Bi-pods are murder of those wood screw Q/D studs. I always wonder at the stresses they are transmitting to the small area of the fore stock to rip them out like they do. I have had to fit a couple of these ferrule and machine screw types due to darned bi-pod use.

true that, people should just learn to shoot without a bipod, far too much reliance on 'aids' these days, whatever happened to good old skilled marksmanship. I keep finding that I carry it around and every time I try to use it, I find the legs are not long enough, it takes to long to set up, I find myself flailing about and scaring the deer, etc.

They 'have' been good on the hill for reds when you have more time, longer distance, and you need to clear a bit of grass or heather, but for roe stalking and similar, I'm pretty much fed up. Just rifle, stick, and sling. On that note, have you guys ever used a stick as a bipod by putting out in front of you from across your left shoulder, angled across and in front of you, then gripping the rifle and stick at the meeting point...works really well and very stable.

. On that note, have you guys ever used a stick as a bipod by putting out in front of you from across your left shoulder, angled across and in front of you, then gripping the rifle and stick at the meeting point...works really well and very stable.[/QUOTE]

What a good idea, i will try that next time i am out.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    Insert wooden dowel (using suitable glue) and start again.

Or, use threaded version of sling stud with piece of aluminium inserted into barrel channel base to thread into.
    make sure you find some dark hardwood or soak the dowl in stain overnight to allow it to colour deeply.
    otherwise you will have a odd spot of lighter wood around the screw hole

I had ago at doing this myself and was really pleased with the result until a few weeks later I fitted the bipod again and pulled the repair out, the local gunsmith did a great job :-) Brithunter and Redmist's way is how mine is done now.

The Old BSA Majestic FeatherWeight has a very slim fore stock and stripped sling loops or studs are not unheard of. The one I brought as a donor but then turned out to be just fouled out in the barrel and not shot out had a professional repair done some long years back:-

A taper was cut in the fore tip and a piece of walnut carefully inletted into it and the sling loop in this case screwed into a steel ferrule inlet into the new piece of wood.

For the sharp eyed .................. yes I had been opening out the channel but don't get excited it was not for free floating. The stock had been sanded so slim at the fore stock that the chequering had been removed so Rather than mess with the Monarch stock I putt he Monarch stock ontot eh Majestic and this Majestic stock onto the 280 AI with it's slightly heavier CF2 barrel profile so it had to be widened and deepened slightly. A new stock was being arranged when the hassles hit.