Thread: Dacia Duster

Dacia Duster

Anybody experience with the Dacia Duster? They have the reputation to use old and proven Renault parts and came as the best in the reliability tests a few months ago. It's not a through offroad vehicle, but has the extra ground clearance to drive on bad woodland tracks. The 4x4 system, similar in use to the X trail system, will be OK on snow. We need to replace the wife's car and this seems a good idea. The very economical diesel engine could make it a great car to drive long distances on winter roads when out stalking or with the dogs.

Didn't know you still got them, imported to the UK about twenty years ago one of the then forestry companys
    invested in them lasted about a year, they then went over to suzuki.

The Dacia was a terrible vehicle, as you say Renault parts no real problems with mechanics but everythging else
    serious problems with electrics some went on fire , and trim was bad things kept falling off.

Maybe they have improved but if anything like what they used to be, I would stay well clear.

The new Dacia Duster will be introduced to the U.K. later this month. Some of the write ups suggest that it's a reasonably good cheap soft roader and entirely different to the previous duster which was a total pile of rubbish. I have seen the new Duster in various countries in Europe and it looks pretty good to me, not in the same class as say a hilux but it can't be any worst than a Freelander can it?
    Last edited by 8x57; 06-06-2012 at 14:09.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    The new Dacia Duster will be introduced to the U.K. later this month. Some of the write ups suggest that it's a reasonably good cheap soft roader and entirely different to the previous duster which was a total pile of rubbish. I have seen the new Duster in various countries in Europe and it looks pretty good to me, not in the same class as say a hilux but it can't be any worst than a Freelander can it?
    I am in Austria at the moment and it is full of them. Its a lot of renault engineering for less cash (the tooling costs for the cockpit and a lot of other parts on it were paid for on the last scenic range so renault can pitch them in cheaper to the market, the materials used are always going to be the same cost as its a world driven commodity market, just cheaper tooling and labour) should be an OK ride.
    martin