Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahles or Zeiss?

Kahles or Zeiss?

I'm currently looking at buying a new scope. I have a Swaro 8x56 fixed on one rifle but I'm thinking of giving a variable a try. I've been looking at these two scopes and just cannot decide between them!

If anyone has any preferences or ideas I'd be very happy to read them, may be push me one way or the other...

Here they are:

Kahles Helia C 3-12x56 Rifle Scope

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/543/105505/kahles-helia-c-3-12x56-rifle-scope/

Zeiss Classic Diavari 3-12x56 T*

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/543/103453/zeiss-classic-diavari-3-12x56-t-rifle-scope/

Although these are the two front runners I have been eyeing up this one but would like to hear opinions on the Duralyt range.

Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50 IR Rifle Scope

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/543/108893/zeiss-duralyt-3-12x50-ir-rifle-scope-52-54-25-9960/

All info gratefully received!

Thanks in advance.

I have them both, not much between them the Kahles is illuminated the Diavari is not. The dot illumination on the Khales is very subtle and is brilliant at last light but I think the eye relief is marginally better on the Diavari. You won't be disappointed with either.
    Not used the duralyt range so can't comment on those.
    Last edited by prometheus; 06-06-2012 at 12:07.

I know it's not a sensible way to chose, but I'd go with Kahles because the brand is named after the first Klingon emperor:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahless

Don't know about picking the scope based on science fiction, tempting though it is it may be a bit too geeky even for me!!

So either/or for the Kahles and Zeiss so far.

Anyone used the Duralyt? It seems like a lot of scope for the money, is it wrong to be suspicious of this??

I've got a Duralyt on my rimfire (3-12x50 non-ill), no complaints yet and you do get a lot of scope for the money with a basic, fine reticle. It's lighter and feels 'cheaper' than the S&B and Swarovski that I have on my stalking rifles, but my thoughts were lighter recoil on the rf, so lighter scope.

owned a kahles k418 for a while, to be honest it didnt really live up to expectations, thought it was going to be as good a zeiss but it just wasnt somehow, i am sure they are good scopes but think i would go with the zeiss
    7mm-08 of course!

SD Regular
    My advice? Imagine a scenario where you have a problem with your 'scope. Now go through the motions of contacting their customer service AND then sending the 'scope back or asking for spare parts.

You'll choose....Zeiss!

I have three Zeiss 'scopes the older Diavari models and needed a spare rubber eyepiece. Called Zeiss at their contact centre here in UK. A week later three rubber eyepieces arrived. They were the wrong ones for another 'scope.

Called them again. This time they asked for the serial number of the 'scope to get exactly the correct model. A week later three of the correct eyepieces arrived.

How much? Says I. No charge, Sir, and apologies we didn't get it right the first time.

For me I can't say enough for the patience of their people in UK or the quality of their back-up.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    No charge, Sir, and apologies we didn't get it right the first time.

For me I can't say enough for the patience of their people in UK or the quality of their back-up.
    Whereas when you call Kahless, he's usually hammered in Blood Wine, calls you a trembling P'Tak for using a rifle in the first place rather than sticking deer with a Bat'leth like he does when hunting Targ before headbutting the phone.

Shame about the Klingon customer service really because the optics are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Whereas when you call Kahless, he's usually hammered in Blood Wine, calls you a trembling P'Tak for using a rifle in the first place rather than sticking deer with a Bat'leth like he does when hunting Targ before headbutting the phone.

Shame about the Klingon customer service really because the optics are good.
    just spat my coffee all over my desk lol
    7mm-08 of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucozade View Post
    just spat my coffee all over my desk lol
    Thanks, I'm glad someone got that! Qaplah!