powders

stalkinginengland

Having spoken to a number of reloaders who almost to the man told me I needed differant powders for each calibre I load I started looking through a lot of loading data.

I need to load 222,243,270,and 9.3x62 Now according to IMR I can load 222 and 243 with IMR4320 and 270 and 9.3x62 with IMR 4895
I feel that this is a good starting point having only to buy 2 powders but have been told that this would only be a compromise and that I should be looking at others that have been listed. With alliant powders I can not even find the data for the 9.3x62.

Being simple, I like to keep things that way and while experimenting may in time give me better rounds I can see nothing wrong with useing this method as a starting point. Am I right or not? and also can anyone give me any thoughts on these 4 calibres and if possible first hand knowledge of these powders and their use.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated

Regards

Mark

BWS sorry i cant help with those cal's But i use the same powder to load my .25-06 and .300 Win-Mag and NEVER had a prob My advice would be choose your powder that suits YOU ( safely) AND you can get local and all the time also i would not get hung up on the fps Warp factor as a lot seem to do in your postion of ( hopefully) be able to grass numerouse Deer if they do want you want then happy days mate sorry i could not be of more help :thumb:

Mark
I would suggest picking one calibre and reload for that first. Once you are happy with one calibre, pick another one.
Good luck. JCS

You should be able to group those four rounds into two groups.

The 243 and the 270 are a natural pair. Use N160, Re22, or 4831.

You might be able to match the 222 and the 9.3x62 with a single powder. I would need to look at the 9.3 data, but off the cuff, BL-C2 or Re10 might work.

Last edited:
Having spoken to a number of reloaders who almost to the man told me I needed differant powders for each calibre I load I started looking through a lot of loading data.

I need to load 222,243,270,and 9.3x62 Now according to IMR I can load 222 and 243 with IMR4320 and 270 and 9.3x62 with IMR 4895
I feel that this is a good starting point having only to buy 2 powders but have been told that this would only be a compromise and that I should be looking at others that have been listed. With alliant powders I can not even find the data for the 9.3x62.

Being simple, I like to keep things that way and while experimenting may in time give me better rounds I can see nothing wrong with useing this method as a starting point. Am I right or not? and also can anyone give me any thoughts on these 4 calibres and if possible first hand knowledge of these powders and their use.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated

Regards

Mark

your thinking too much , find a powder that works and buy in bulk its the only way to go . plus make sure you can get hold of it , powder is getting a barsteward to get hold of so it pays to stock up .

plus i may add , dont always rely on 1 rfd and be prepared to travel to get it !

i waited for nearly 3 months of some H4831sc for my 300 win mag in the end i said sod it and sacraficed half inch of accuracy and i now use N560 (presently sitting on 7 kg of the stuff , bloody handy when im loading 76gns in the 300 !) which i use in my 270 .

baring in mind we use the same 2 gun shops in the area and they both use the same suppliers !

Last edited:
BWS.
Old Vihtavuori data for Viht. N135 powder :-

.222 with 60gr Hornady SP bullet was 23.1 grains.
.243 with 70gr Horn.SP bullet was 37.5gr. and 36.9gr with the Horn.80gr SP bullet.
.270 with 100gr Remington SP bullet was 46.9 grains.
9.3X62 with 258gr RWS SP bullet was 57.6gr and 54.5 gr with the 285gr RWS SP bullet.

Hope this helps.

HWH.

N140 for .222 and 9.3x62 (and .243 if you want to squeeze 3 out of one powder)
N160 for .243 and .270
Varget is a good call as a replacement for N140

none of those is a compromise with the exception of the .222 which could probably benefit from a slightly snappier powder

Mark
I would suggest picking one calibre and reload for that first. Once you are happy with one calibre, pick another one.
Good luck. JCS

Yes I agree I am goin to load the 9.3 first due to the saving on price and the fact that so far I have not been able to by any rounds:doh: that said If say I find that a powder does not suit my rifle then I want to be in a possition where it may suit another. I used to load all my shotgun rounds untill the cost made it a waste of time and I hated it when noble 82 finished. That really did finish it as far as I was concerned.

Thanks Lee your right I may be thinking too much but thats because I dont want to have to think too much later on and I feel that the fewer powders I use the better. I just want to keep it simple as long as I get the results I am looking for.

Thanks for everything so far though ,it all makes good reading

Back