Home and contents insurance

Stayangry

Hello all,

It's time to renew my house and contents insurance again.

I'm with Sainsbury's Bank and the policy document does not state clearly whether or not my firearms and ammunition are covered.

The rival policies that I have examined likewise do not offer any detail on this matter.

I'm reluctant to take this up with the company for security reasons (would you tell a stranger that you have guns in the house?).

Does anyone know of any insurance companies which categorically DO cover firearms?

Alternatively, are there any policies available which could be taken out separately to cover shooting gear?

Grateful for any advice you guys can give.

Yours

James

I am with Cornhill and have Home and Contents 'all risks' which covers personal and Sporting Equipment in and away from the house, each single item up to £1000.00, so I reckon my Remmy would be covered if I dropped it from a high seat!!

NFU they know a bit about shotguns and rifles. I've been with them for years, very good. In fact I have all my insurance policies with them. When I go in to see them they are very helpful. Real people who understand about country pursuits! :D

NFU insured mine for over 20 yrs they are great, they insure through Norwich Union and Norwich insure household inc firearms

i am with CIS they insure my shotguns and rifles as listed items cost a tiny bit more but atleast they are insured

Recetly renewed my buidings and contents with More Th>n. With this company if any single firearm is valued in excess of £1500 you are requird to give details. This policy applies to any item with a value over £1500. Two of my rifles when combined with scopes are over this value. Apart from giving details of these rifles no problem with cover.

I'm with Endsleigh phoned up and asked if they are covered, they are, sporting equipment, just had to specify how much they are worth, scopes and bino's as they are worth over £x amount individually, so got them listed as special interest.
No Probs.

EMcC said:
I am with Cornhill and have Home and Contents 'all risks' which covers personal and Sporting Equipment in and away from the house, each single item up to £1000.00, so I reckon my Remmy would be covered if I dropped it from a high seat!!
BEWARE!
Read your policy very very thoroughly before submiting a claim. :eek: I was insured with the an insurance co, who covered sporting goods. It was not until I tried to claim for a broken fly rod that I was told they were only insured while in the home. :cry: Like wise one of my rods got chewed by a bull terrier I owned (huge mistake). Again, animal damage was excluded. :cry: I argued that this clause was meant to mean rats, mice etc, but they were having none of it. This was some time ago, so rules may have changed.
IF you drop your rifle make sure it's down the stairs, at home, no dogs must be present, and there must not be a sunrise that day. (Not keen on insurers, just a neccessary evil). :evil:

Back