Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ear shot

ear shot

hi all, right on my local permission we have a fox problem and although there is over 200 acre's of very hilly land it is only cleared for rim fire. the land owner has an open ticket but is not bothered about shooting them himself.
    so after talking to firearms dept they said i could do it on an estate rifle aslong as he is in ear shot(which i knew) buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut what do they class as ear shot. i do have a big gob by the way.lol
    stav
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough

I would not accept that and insist on a firearm suitable for the job eg .22cf. Get the FO to come out and do a risk assessment with you and then what ever he suggests ie High seats get done.

yeah tried dropping hints about my 22/250 but fell on deaf ears so mentioned about getting a 22 wmr which was a no aswell as the .17 hmr that i have. only spoke to someone on the phone not the bloke who i deal with so might give it a go. will speak to land owner to make sure he dunt mind me asking f.a.o first, as when i spoke to them i never gave my name or the land.
    stav
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Ask them to define ear shot.

Simplest solution. Then argue the case for a .22 CF, if they still refuse get them to put it in a letter explaining why.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Surely the idea of an 'Estate Rifle' is to allow sonone who does not own a suitable firearm to use one under supervision.

I don't really understand this ear shot thing, what are they expecting you to do, shout over to the rifle owner before you take the shot to check that it is ok? I'm only guessing but I think the foxes might also hear that and may run away. If they mean within sound of the rifle being fired then surely it is too late if the shot was not safe etc?

The only advice I can give is not to talk to FEO's etc on the telephone, do your comunication by email or letter, its much more difficult for a numpty to put something in writing than it is for them to say it over the phone and, of course, you have a record of exactly what was said.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by stav View Post
    hi all, right on my local permission we have a fox problem and although there is over 200 acre's of very hilly land it is only cleared for rim fire. the land owner has an open ticket but is not bothered about shooting them himself.
    so after talking to firearms dept they said i could do it on an estate rifle aslong as he is in ear shot(which i knew) buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut what do they class as ear shot. i do have a big gob by the way.lol
    stav
    Have you ever heard such nonsense.

[QUOTE=tartinjock;388591]Ask them to define ear shot.[QUOTE]

Sound advice tartinjock, I would also advise to ask what the appeal chain is within the FA dept, and if you are still refused, seek to challenge it through to the Chief Superintendent of the FA dept, may also suggest getting in touch with BASC, & NGO, if you are not in already, shame on you, do it now!!!. no point in having an organisation that will fight your corner if you are not a member, we all need to be a member of a shooting organisation, one voice... a loud voice (yes in ear shot) will get the required attention... good luck

@Cadex post.
    Stav why is your .22 250 not on an open cert. .22 WMR WHY ASK FOR THAT ARE YOU TRYING TO UP SET.

Our FLD give the advice on Estate Rifles that not only must you be within sight and earshot but you must also be a position to intervene if required.

Stav,

IMHO you are going about this the wrong way - no need for the 'Estate Rifle' at all - and doing it over the 'phone or asking for info anonymously just gets the kind of nonsense response you have already had.

Get the landowners okay for you to shoot over his property with your 22/250 - preferably in writing.

Then write in or email the FLD and request that they either inspect the land and clear it for your rifle or open up your FAC to allow you to shoot wherever you have permission.