Thread: First buck outing of the year - knowing the ground!

Established Poster Muddy Springer's Avatar

First buck outing of the year - knowing the ground!

Yes, admittedly a rather late start to the bucks on friday, but when your 'guest' keeps making excuses for not coming up..... I knew a couple of rather nice pieces of ground on the southern edge of the Yorkshire Dales, which were holding a few bucks, the first of which was an 8 year old broadleaved woodland plantation of 30 acres, with at least 5 bucks knocking around (from the trail cam evidence). Discussions earlier in the week had been around what time to start - he was ready for a first light stalk, but knowing the ground I said 8.30am at the earliest (after all a good ghillie needs his power breakfast). After a 20 minute drive, 8.30am on the dot, I recommended we take a very short 200 yard walk through to a half acre of ancient oak woodland, circled by drystone wall, for cover, which sits right at the heart of the 30 acre plantation. 'keep very slow, very quiet cus the deer will be just over the wall to the east - they're regular as clockwork'. First peek over the wall and there's a malformed buck about 60 yards in but shielded by young trees. 5 minutes of him casually munching, moving and fraying was interupted by a commotion immediately on the other side of the wall to where we were kneeling, and a nice 4 pointer came bursting forth with a less than impressed 6 pointer aiming at his backside (later we discovered they'd both been laid up no more than a couple of yards from where we were). 3 bucks to choose from! Guest's .270 came up and the 6 pointer went down first from at least 15 yards (almost too close!)...followed by the 4 pointer who hid himself behind a large oak and had a crafty last look backwards (oops) from perhaps 20 yards. Job done in 10 minutes from start to finish. Whilst 'guest' was doing his own gralloch, I popped through the trees to try and locate the malform, instead finding another lovely 6 point buck, undisturbed by the shots no more than 100 yards away, we both watched him for the next 20 minutes, stalking into probably 30 yards whilst he was engrossed in thrashing some young trees. Thats ones for next time. 'Guest' carried both beasts back to the car (I'm perhaps overstating my role as ghillie...) Just goes to show tht knowing the ground and the habits pays dividends. I've been watching and walking this wood for the last 6 months waiting for the opportunity to arise, even better when you can take someone else along for the experience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails phone 157.jpg   phone 156.jpg  

Sounds like a very entertaining morning Mr Springer...! I'm sure 'Guest' was very pleased! An 8.30 start and a 15yrd shot is just about right for him these days anyway!

Well done!

Established Poster Muddy Springer's Avatar
    guest was delighted, but less than happy at my ghillie services in the gralloch and carry department, though the bucks and brews made up for it big time. Just a couple of thousand rabbits for him to shoot now......

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Springer View Post
    Guest's .270 came up and the 6 pointer went down first from at least 15 yards (almost too close!)...followed by the 4 pointer who hid himself behind a large oak and had a crafty last look backwards (oops) from perhaps 20 yards.
    At least you don't have to worry about zeroing - and if you get a misfire, beat it with the butt.

Well done and good write up - a (reminder) lesson for us all that (from my Army days) "time spent on recce is seldom wasted".