Thread: 7x65R load data needed.

7x65R load data needed.

Does anyone have any load data for 7x65R? I have been trying to work up a load for mine using 173gn S&B 173gn SPCE bullets, extrapolating from .280R data as instructed by at least two of the load manuals I have. Using H4831 accuracy is excellent but velocity is at least 300FPS from where it should be, i.e. 2,200 rather than 2,400FPS).

Either the listed max' charge of 51gns is very conservative or I need a much slower powder - pressure is low and the max' H2O capacity of the S&B case is 69.4gns, albeit a lot of the capacity is taken up with the very long bullet.

Any actual 7x65R load data would be much appreciated as something isn't reading across from either 7x64 or .280R. Quickload is indicating that compressed loads are needed to match factory velocities but I'm slightly anxious about using high pressure loads in a break barrel rifle...

Thanks,

Adam.

Account Suspended
    A quick google gave me:

http://www.norma.cc/en/Ammunition-Ac...ng-Data/7x65R/

But that's only for Norma powders. I note their 170grain Vulkan can be pushed to over 2600 fps though.

A little bit of effort and a search engine should turn up more, I would think.

I don't think I'd worry about "pressure" with regards to break in. Most of the rifles in the world are deflowered with high pressure factory ammo and shoot fine. Switch to 4350 and see how that adjusts your velocities, and then move to progressively faster powders~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I don't think I'd worry about "pressure" with regards to break in. Most of the rifles in the world are deflowered with high pressure factory ammo and shoot fine. Switch to 4350 and see how that adjusts your velocities, and then move to progressively faster powders~Muir
    Muir,

Thanks for that - I think I have half a tub of H4350 on the shelf.

My pressure anxieties are more to do with rifle type than barrel newness - I'm working up a load for a breech loading Kettner drilling rather than for my more familiar bolt action rifles and understood that I needed to be looking at lower pressure loads in this kind of action? However, because the round head-spaces off the rim rather than the head, the usual pressure signs such as flattened primers don't seem to apply?

Thanks,

Adam.

I think you're right to take care with 7x65R. The rimmed counterpart of cartridges like the 5.6x50, 7x57, and 7x64, are usually loaded to lower pressures.

A lot of the reloading manuals declare that 7x64 is much the same as .280 Rem, but the loading data isn't necessarily interchangeable. The Hornady #3 says that these are the same in case capacity and dimension, but they don't look it to me. I have cases in each calibre.

This manual lists Hornady 175gr RN (max.) loads as follows:-

.280 Rem.... 54.0 IMR 4350 at 2700 fps.
    7x65R......... 50.7 IMR 4350 at 2700 fps.

Quite a differerence in loading, and possibly case capacity there. It also adds a big BUT .... 'the 7x65R data comes from a strong bolt-action 26" (Mauser 66), and that combination guns aren't capable of handling such loads.'

ATB.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I have a 7x65r and I had a problem obtaining loading data in English. I bought 200 factory norma 170 grain Vulkan cartridges the accuracy is excellent and terminal performance is good on roe, fallow and red deer. I think the max pressure of a 7x65R is 350 bar below a 7x64 so the load data cannot be applied to both cartridges.

Use a cast boolit (same as a .303 British boolit) and use Accurate 5744 powder.

Pm me your email address and can let you have some load data for the 7x65r - also do a search back through this site for 7x65r data.