Marking classified adverts as *sold*

Apache

I think it is a bit of a double edged sword. If I buy something on a forum I will usually go back and let people know it's arrived. Almost like a feedback service on ebay. Now when an item sells and the item is marked sold, the thread is closed and this is no longer an option.

I'm not sure it's a good thing. Is it possible to mark items as sold but keep the thread open?

Might just be me thinking this.

It's a tricky one - there are advantages and disadvantages either way. Leaving it open you will be able to give feedback on the thread, but then we will also get the constant problem of old posts being bumped up by people who don't read the date it was posted, or the fact that it was sold. Also we will get the 'trial by forum' situation which used to happen where there was an issue that would have been best sorted via PM.

I'm happy to go with whatever the majority want. Technically it's a 10 second change to have them marked as sold but remain open. Maybe start a poll?

Alex

Alex, any further tweaking needed to be able to mark the miscellany section of classifieds as read?

Steve,

As discussed previously - not a 10 second tweak! That will be fixed when we upgrade Vbulletin to the latest software version. That involves a lot of work and time which I just don't have at the moment. I need to make a duplicate test site, apply the upgrade and then redo all of the plugins and customisations, fix any other issues that arise, then do the whole thing over again on the live site which will have to be done at a quiet time as I will have to close the forums! After all that is done your marking as read bug will be fixed (along with a lot of others).

Basically need to find an 8th day of the week from somewhere? :D

Alex

Just send the seller a PM confirming all is well when the goods arrive. Regards JCS

That is what I will do.

I recently bought a scope of a relatively new member with a lowish post count. He had 2 scopes listed. I did a little checking and he seemed genuine so I sent my money and scope came next day. Now if I was a buyer looking at the other scope the fact that one forum member had had a pleasant transaction would give me a lot more confidence.

Is it possible for a thread starter to have the ability to close their own threads just in the classified sub forum? I know it is possible as a global setting.

What about adding the Vbulletin user reputation mod?
Or, is it possible for the seller to allow a response to a sold item from the purchaser only?

What about adding the Vbulletin user reputation mod?

Can of worms that one!

Who is the lucky person who has to sort out all the "I didn't deserve negative reputation :dummy:" complaints? :eek: Cause it's not going to be me! :D

Or, is it possible for the seller to allow a response to a sold item from the purchaser only?

That would be a big mod and would depend on the seller bothering to tell the system who the buyer was.... and what happens if it is multiple items/buyers? Messy....

Back