Thread: .308 questions

.308 questions

Hi , I shoot a tikka 595 .308 . It's had roughly 150 shots through it as it was a dedicated boar gun the the owner gave up and sold it .
    Basically I'm using this for deer ONLY ! And I'm unsure as to how to look after it . Should I clean it after every trip ? Or should I leave it be ? Also if I use it in the rain how should I dry it and clean it ? What if water droplets get in the barrel whist it's on my sling ?

I use a Schmidt 8x56 which I really rate ! How should I care for that ? Up till now I've only had cheap glass on my two work guns a .22-250 and a .17 hmr and I just clean them as and when .

Also I'd like a custom / aftermarket wooden stock for the 595 . Possibly thumb hole . Does anyone no of a maker .
    Many thanks
    Acm

The issue of cleaning would throw up 10 different answers from 10 different guys but I only clean when the rifle has been wet and only clean the bore if I think a round has gone not where I thought it might. Regards a custom stock have a look at Boyds stocks in the U.S. I will probably be getting one from them for my Parker Hale but not sure weather to have a thumbhole.
    Tusker.

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    ..What if water droplets get in the barrel whist it's on my sling ? ..
    Put some tape over the muzzle before you leave the house. Replace it if you fire a shot. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Put some tape over the muzzle before you leave the house. Replace it if you fire a shot. Regards JCS
    +1 or face the rifle down in the rain!

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Doesn't it much up when the bullet goes through it ? !

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    Doesn't it much up when the bullet goes through it ? !
    No the pressure pops it off before the round!

Also here is the link to boyds International Customers

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    The issue of cleaning would throw up 10 different answers from 10 different guys but I only clean when the rifle has been wet and only clean the bore if I think a round has gone not where I thought it might. Regards a custom stock have a look at Boyds stocks in the U.S. I will probably be getting one from them for my Parker Hale but not sure weather to have a thumbhole.
    Tusker.
    Hi Tusker I'll take a look , thank you . If they don't do one could I buy one of their blanks and have it bedded in the uk do you think ?
    Also I notice your in west Sussex too , perhaps we ought to go for a pint some time ! Being a new guy Id love to meet some more experienced stalkers .

Quote Originally Posted by AllThingsShooting View Post
    No the pressure pops it off before the round!

Also here is the link to boyds International Customers
    Cheers mate checking it out now

I clean my 308 every time whether i take 1 shot or numerous. Never had any issues it shoots hole on hole. If out in the wet just run a dry cloth over it and put in the cabinet muzzle down.

ATB steve

Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    I clean my 308 every time whether i take 1 shot or numerous. Never had any issues it shoots hole on hole. If out in the wet just run a dry cloth over it and put in the cabinet muzzle down.

ATB steve
    +1