.308 questions

Acm

Hi , I shoot a tikka 595 .308 . It's had roughly 150 shots through it as it was a dedicated boar gun the the owner gave up and sold it .
Basically I'm using this for deer ONLY ! And I'm unsure as to how to look after it . Should I clean it after every trip ? Or should I leave it be ? Also if I use it in the rain how should I dry it and clean it ? What if water droplets get in the barrel whist it's on my sling ?

I use a Schmidt 8x56 which I really rate ! How should I care for that ? Up till now I've only had cheap glass on my two work guns a .22-250 and a .17 hmr and I just clean them as and when .

Also I'd like a custom / aftermarket wooden stock for the 595 . Possibly thumb hole . Does anyone no of a maker .
Many thanks
Acm

The issue of cleaning would throw up 10 different answers from 10 different guys but I only clean when the rifle has been wet and only clean the bore if I think a round has gone not where I thought it might. Regards a custom stock have a look at Boyds stocks in the U.S. I will probably be getting one from them for my Parker Hale but not sure weather to have a thumbhole.
Tusker.

The issue of cleaning would throw up 10 different answers from 10 different guys but I only clean when the rifle has been wet and only clean the bore if I think a round has gone not where I thought it might. Regards a custom stock have a look at Boyds stocks in the U.S. I will probably be getting one from them for my Parker Hale but not sure weather to have a thumbhole.
Tusker.

Hi Tusker I'll take a look , thank you . If they don't do one could I buy one of their blanks and have it bedded in the uk do you think ?
Also I notice your in west Sussex too , perhaps we ought to go for a pint some time ! Being a new guy Id love to meet some more experienced stalkers .

I clean my 308 every time whether i take 1 shot or numerous. Never had any issues it shoots hole on hole. If out in the wet just run a dry cloth over it and put in the cabinet muzzle down.

ATB steve

Back