School me on .22lr Rifles

You could do a lot worse than this one down in the classifieds:-

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/45231-BSA-Sportsman-5-with-scope

They normally shoot superbly and balance well plus have a decent stock design:-

48107502.jpg

Sportsman Five is the scoped on at the top.

29877999.jpg

29878339.jpg

They have a medium heavy barrel profile and th later ones are dovertailed same as the early Brno rifles. Oh yes they have an adjustable trigger as well.

Anschutz match 54 with 8x scope, that's my bunny rifle. Accuracy that makes everyone else sit in the back and see how you should shoot.

Brno Mod 2 or CZ 452, plus the Timney Trigger for the 452. I did have the spring upgrade kit, but still a bit rough. The Timney trigger is a quality trigger pul on a par with my Heym SR20. OK it was £70 when I got compared to £20 odd for the upgrade kit, but much, much better value in my opinion, and made me wish I had never othered with the initial upgrade kit.

More toys Mike?
Used to have a BRNO, only sold it cos I was moving around for work so often that I let my FAC lapse rather than keep changing address.
it was accurate, lovely to use, reliable
CZ seems like an update of the same rifle
Go for it - get both :D

Favourite - Sako Finnfire HB
The one that gets most use in the field - CZ Style (has survived years of total abuse and neglect .....)

Anschutz 1712. Model 54 action and excellent 2 stage trigger. Only problem is with Anschutz is that if you want a shorter barrel-you have to pick a single stage trigger or get the barrel shortened and threaded yourself like I did.

Fantastic rimfire rifles but if you go for the match 2 stage triggers beware! You'll never find a centerfire factory rifle with as good a 2 stage unit and you'll think to yourself - why?

I have a ruger 77/22 that I have had for years

really happy and like the 10 shot rotary mag that doesnt stick out the bottom. It will shoot into an inch at 100 if i do my bit

Ditto and very happy with it. Whether I would have bought it now after buying a Sako 85 in 6.5x55 I'm not so sure but the Ruger is a very effective and reliable coney killer. Anschutz is a very good make worth considering all three figure higher than CZ on my list.

CZ452 'Style' (stainless nickel plated barrel & solid synthetic stock) with a £10 fit yourself trigger kit.
Gorgeous little rifle, you can chop it if you feel the barrel length is a disadvantage based on your shooting style.
Truly aweful safety catch that will not be the same as any other rifle in your cabinet.

Krico / Weirauch HW60 etc / Sako Finnfire / Anschutz - lovely rifles, at a price.

As you have seen from the recommendations, the CZ is MUCH cheaper - and does the same job.

99% of .22lrs will shoot very accurately - construction, layout and trigger quality are the only varients needing consideration when deciding on YOUR priorities. :)

Rgds

Ian

Although I usually use my old Voere semi-auto .22 for rabbits I do have a bit of an odd bolt rifle for those still days and longs shots.
It's based on an old Vostok CM-2 target rifle - Only single shot but a pleasure to shoot.
CM2.jpg

Heya folks,

Am looking for a .22lr bolt action rifle. (Mixture of 50m practice and plinking some bunnies as sensible ranges).

Any ideas on what's a good deal at the minute? New or second hand both good options?

Looking forward to your advice!

ATB,

Scrummy
cz are good mate, but if you want a proper trigger and a 14 inch barrel, it has to be of Germanic make like my anshutz x1v, accuracy with Eley subs is quite incredible, Im talking ragged one hole groups @ 60 yds,:lol:

Back