varmint Plastic Tip vs SP

User00003

various manufacturers such as Sierra make varmint bullets in both plastic tipped and soft points, both aimed at the varmint market, similar bullet weights, similar performance characteristics, etc....why? why not just run the one line of bullets?

With plastic points you get a more uniform projectile, the points are identical for all projs in the box, no damage (flat tips) from recoil in the magazine or seating dies, and mostly better accuracy. Apart from that no reason at all. Soft tips are a bit cheaper and great for those not so preoccupied with shooting tight groups.

With plastic points you get a more uniform projectile, the points are identical for all projs in the box, no damage (flat tips) from recoil in the magazine or seating dies, and mostly better accuracy. Apart from that no reason at all. Soft tips are a bit cheaper and great for those not so preoccupied with shooting tight groups.

I'll agree with you in general, but you skipped over the real reason for ballistic tips. Originally, when the name "ballistic tip" was coined by Norma, it referred to a small plastic bead in the nose of their bullets, The idea was that recoil wouldn't mash the soft lead tip of the cartridges in the magazine. Hornady used it for another purpose. The long plastic tip to add length without adding significant weight. You get the ballistic coefficient of a heavier bullet in a lighter and faster offering.~Muir

Hi,
IMHO, I often felt that the BT did not expad as well as SP on Reds & Roe unless you connected with bone. Just my view.

R

Hi,
IMHO, I often felt that the BT did not expad as well as SP on Reds & Roe unless you connected with bone. Just my view.

R

I agree. I'm not sure the ballistic tip is a great aid to expansion. They usually break off on impact. A lead tipped bullet is the original "controlled expansion" bullet and usually lives up to that reputation. I used them for all of my big game hunting.~Muir

I generally use the "hunting" type ballistic tip, & SP's bullets for deer, and the Sierra plastic tip Blitzkings in my 20PPC for rabbits, fox, etc'.

The Blitzkings are highly frangible, & pretty much destroy vermin. Head shoot only, if you want the meat.

The construction of the "Hunting" BT's mean they do very little damage by comparison.

Back