Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: boarder terrier

boarder terrier

Can a boarder terrier be used as a blood / tracking dog?
    I have heard of certain folk using them but wasn't sure of their actual abilities when
    their time comes to perform.
    If they are used are there any breeders who specialize in boarder terriers for deer?

yes they can be trained to do it , I dont think anyone breeds them for trailing

just hope it dosnt find a fox goes to earth , leaving you with a deer to find and a dog to dig out

Thatll be the day

Would be surprised if they can be trained to do anything, I love mine but to a degree he does what he wants. Though if it's dead or dying he will find it..

Regards oli

I have a Border who is now 8 yrs old. He has found several deer for me, mainly Muntjac in cover. I did not train him properly to track as I did not have the knowhow at the time. Mine is very biddable in most ways but will kill anything he can get his face around. He is friendly with people (not strangers who try to pick him up) and safe with children.
    There is a problem with going to ground and mine cost me £110 in the vets just before last Christmas. We had finished stalking and I was busy showing a new member the boundary of the wood, dog off the leash and me not paying attention to him. He went into an ancient stone lined drain,which was under an ancient cart-road and fortunately only about a foot below the surface. A fox was at home and couldn't bolt because of a fallen stone at the other end of the drain. Fox has to turn and fight it out and dog wouldn't back off! I eventually called him out and stopped him going straight back in for round number 2 ! Moral of this story is keep the little bugger on a leash. If you are not deterred then I got him in a Norfolk village called Shouldham from a chap called Steve whose kennel club name is Bramblegate. I could get his phone number if you wish but it may take a week or two before I am that way again. Good luck if you decide to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by trigwig78 View Post
    Can a boarder terrier be used as a blood / tracking dog?
    I have heard of certain folk using them but wasn't sure of their actual abilities when
    their time comes to perform.
    If they are used are there any breeders who specialize in boarder terriers for deer?
    I would imagine they would find you a Deer i have two that i used for Beating and retrieving off water. They would trail Hare's and Rabbits so i don't think you would have a problem unless they were on scent and tried to call them back as Border's tend to have deaf ears when they want. Good luck

Jimbo

You sure can use them, used one and other breeds of terrier for tracking deer. Would bring down roe, bigger deer might be a problem.
    Al

They will work you just have to put the time in I use a patterdale cross at the moment they just need reminding some times who is the boss ,This dog works every day on red deer apart from when at the dens.

Although my Patterdale is now semi-retired due to his age, he has been a great wee deer dog and brilliant stalking companion.
    He has brought down injured deer and I would certainly have another if I could find decent lines!
    On the subject of Borders, a friend of mine has 2 very competent deer tracking borders, the only downside with one of them is that he gets very protective of his find!
    For a biddable stalking companion that will find deer and even indicate on live deer, a terrier can fit the bill, you just need patience in your training approach and a decent working blood line to start with.
    As long as I can find decent working stock, my next deer dog will be a terrier.
    Regards
    BP