Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotten meat....

Rotten meat....

Reading an article in 'The countrymans weekly', a mention was made about pheasant being too bland, unless it had been hung for around three weeks.
    Personally, I prefer my food to be fresh. Having tried pheasant, both fresh and hung, my own opinion is that pheasant is only good for ferret food.
    Getting to the point though, can anyone provide a CONVINCING argument for eating rotten meat, when, as shooters, we generally show a preference for, and set so much store on our meat being fresh?

A keeper on the next door estate to me when I worked in the highlands hung his venison for 6 weeks and it looked revolting, it had a green coating to it.
    Another time, a man up shooting grouse had some partridges he wanted me to pluck for him, they were green and had maggots in them and he said thats the way he liked them!
    I have a pretty strong stomach but don't fancy it myself.

My thoughts on this are, that the landed gentry of years back had bored palates, & were looking for something different,.. so hung the game, for a (Gamey flavour).... a bit like that stinky cheese (Blue), my missus has a liking for! YEEUCH!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

It dates back to the days of coaches, grouse especially but other game also was sent down to London, it was often a bit high by the time it got there, again especially grouse shot in August.

It became accepted that that was how it should taste,when rail freight ensured the same or next day delivery it became fashionable to hang game to achieve the taste they had become accustomed too.

However having said that the best tasting beef is that which has been hung for 21 days which you will only get from a traditional butcher, super market beef is to fresh which you can tell by the colour bright red, beef which has been hung is much darker in colour.

IMO its not hanging that causes the problem but hanging in the wrong conditions, for example a beast shot and
    hung in a chiller should keep perfectly OK for a couple of weeks, where as one hung in an unchilled larder but fly proof larder in humid muggy weather may have started to turn by the next day.

I think the hanging thing probably comes from when we didn't have fridges, for me the fresher the better.... The smell from a freshly shot animal when you gut it is bad enough to put you off eating it, so why leave it to fester?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I think the hanging thing probably comes from when we didn't have fridges, for me the fresher the better.... The smell from a freshly shot animal when you gut it is bad enough to put you off eating it, so why leave it to fester?
    I have always caught a whiff of freshly mown hay when gralloching deer, now Rabbits,....................... Yeeeuchhh!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I don't mind keeping the joints/fillets in the fridge for up to 6 weeks. Providing it doesn't go off the meat will tenderise and taste better. Having said that a first year beast always produces tender meat so can be cooked shortly after shooting.

It used to be said that the flavour of a Dover Sole was at its best the day after it had been caught. No doubt by sheer coincidence it would take precisely that time to transport the catch from Dover to the gentlemen's clubs of London where it was a prized dish.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Have got to agree pheasant doe's taste better more gamey if it's hung awhile but I'm far from the green and maggotty brigade.

In do like my game hung..pheasants partridge for about a week, deer 2-3 weeks, thats in a 1-2 degree cooler...if the game in question gets too 'stinky' just soak in a weak brine for a couple of hours...fetches it back to brand new....