Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice sought on drying hazel sticks.

Advice sought on drying hazel sticks.

I`ve cut a few hazel sticks to have a go at mounting some antlers on them.
    Does anyone know if i can hang them by the smaller end?
    By this i mean screw a small eye in the end and hang them in the shed, heavy end down.
    It`s just a thought, this way i can have them up out the way in the shed.
    Apparently they shouldn`t be laid down in the loft.
    Thanks.
    basil.

I've dried sticks before by whipping them to the rafters/trusses in the shed to keep them straight as they dry. It's ok for a few sticks, hope its of some help.

Regards

Ben

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Basil

You can hang them from one end - try using a loop of string rather than a screw.

Ideally, cover the cut ends with a coat of paint to stop woodworm and then leave them in the loft/garage for a year to season.

I lay my shanks down horizontally, using three large hooks from the ceiling to suspend them and allow the air to circulate. They say this can put a bow in them, but I've not noticed.

willie_gunn

sticks

Basil
    if you support them in the middle as well as both ends they will not bow
    or if you bundle 5 or 6 together they will support each other
    then hang them from the rafters
    JayJay

the only stick making resource you will ever need
    http://www.thestickman.co.uk/index.htm

Thanks "ash243" a very interesting site.

S.

Bend your stick over your knee to straighten them same as a plumber does by the time there dry enough to work with 12 to 18 months they'll be like a snooker cue .

The pic shows a bending jig for taking out stuborn bends ,you put the stick through the hole and tie it or weigh it down ,and leave it for a while .

To bend a crook in the top of it steam it for a while put it in the form and bend it round the form slowly if it starts to crack you need more steam

Cracking stuff Grommit !
    I often wondered how you got he wood to bend , I submerged a bundle of mixed sticks in a old bath for 2 weeks then bundled and weighed them down. A year they laid drying out, Then I came home one night to find my Springer Teal at the time had nagged the bits out of em , teethmarks from top to bottom!!!I still have a short thumbstick nowt fancy , but I have had it since 82 so it is part of me , sounds stupid just a piece of stick! but I would be gutted if ever I lost it . I am dabbling with the dark arts at the moment and find it fascinating . For now I am sticking to straight sticks .
    cheers Trapper

Cracking stuff Grommit !
    I often wondered how you got he wood to bend , I submerged a bundle of mixed sticks in a old bath for 2 weeks then bundled and weighed them down. A year they laid drying out, Then I came home one night to find my Springer Teal at the time had nagged the bits out of em , teethmarks from top to bottom!!!I still have a short thumbstick nowt fancy , but I have had it since 82 so it is part of me , sounds stupid just a piece of stick! but I would be gutted if ever I lost it . I am dabbling with the dark arts at the moment and find it fascinating . For now I am sticking to straight sticks .
    cheers Trapper

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    The other way to bend sticks is to use heat - a hot air gun is useful.

willie_gunn