who uses a 20 tac.

If you go steady use some hornady wax lube and a Redding FL .20Tac die you can form .223 brass. I have done 300 American eagle in this manner.

However I bought 500 Dakota from the USA at £40/100. Can't beat having the correct head stamp.

If you go steady use some hornady wax lube and a Redding FL .20Tac die you can form .223 brass. I have done 300 American eagle in this manner.

However I bought 500 Dakota from the USA at £40/100. Can't beat having the correct head stamp.
i will have a go thanks

If Hornady's wax doesn't work well, give Imperial a go. Much better for forming in my experience (and yes, I have used, and continue to use both). Actually, a FL die may work, but I tend to just get/use the form dies, as there is reason they are made (right tool for the right job, so to speak). Besides, I hate messing with my dies once they're set up (laziness I suppose).

And yes, I am well aware of the cost of reloading supplies in the UK (I lived there for a few months, in Norwich actually). I definitely got some weird looks there, as I guess it's not common in the UK for someone to spend four months in the Airport Hilton hotel...or have a 14,000+ pound bill when I left... :) I thought the hotel girls were going to faint when they ran the tab for a four month stay, and were afraid to give me the news... LOL!

just had a go at what scotch egg suggested only i used lee lube as thats all i got at moment i then sat the 20 head in the unprimed 223 lapua unfired case and it chambered beautifully
also in and out the shellholder that i use in my priming tool no probs i will try a few more and see how they shoot and at some stage maybe pick up a forming die ... if my memory serves me
right i thinking back to 223 days think i had similar trouble with federal cases and ppu but hopefully i can stay out the kak on the 20 tac side for a while thanks to scotch egg

farmer rang this eve lost one of his peacocks me an charlie are giong to cross swords yet again

Glad to be of assistance.

Marine. We can't get imperial over here for some stupid reason, well the last time I tried to get hold of some from one of our better reloading suppliers he informed me it is classed as hazmat and not economical to import. The imperial is working well though.

getting some spray lube this weekend from a mate so ill see whats the score with that,

out with the 20 when i have reloaded the next batch of 50.

UPDATE: no reply from lapua ??

bob.

bob i took a file to the jaws of my shellholder seems to have done the trick cases going in an out with a lot less resistance not tried any priming with the tool yet
but will have a reload this weekend i went easy with the file mind you theres room for more yet methinks but slowly slowly

bob i took a file to the jaws of my shellholder seems to have done the trick cases going in an out with a lot less resistance not tried any priming with the tool yet
but will have a reload this weekend i went easy with the file mind you theres room for more yet methinks but slowly slowly

cheers bud,

ill have a check later (soon) im just about to load some ammo for tonight, first time out for a while, being taken out lamping on a mates farm.

bob.

I have also had trouble with my Dakota brass in both of my RCBS shell holders, they will go in but some are really tight and need a firm push and since I rotate all my cases for runout reasons the tight ones can't be turned when in the shell holder.

I have tried a few of a friends 223 brass with no problems.

The Lee holder on my neck turner is fine.

Last edited:
I have also had trouble with my Dakota brass in both of my RCBS shell holders, they will go in but some are really tight and need a firm push and since I rotate all my cases for runout reasons the tight ones can't be turned when in the shell holder.

I have tried a few of a friends 223 brass with no problems.

The Lee holder on my neck turner is fine.

Maybe it's because the cartridge was designed to be used with resized .223 brass? As MarinePMI said in an earlier post, he just picks up military brass and reforms it. He's been shooting 20 Tac since long before the advent of the 204 Ruger and is a stickler for accuracy. If it was hurting his groups, or his ability to hit prairiedogs at 450 yards :mad:, he'd do something else. ~Muir

Back