Freezer Burn

Stuart

Has anyone got any good ideas to prevent venison which is packed in freezer bags and put in the freezer from getting 'burnt'?

Thanks.

You could try investing in one of those vacuum bag sealers. It's contact with freezing air which causes the burn, I believe. I use a vac-sealer and never get freeze burns.

Hi
I use a good quality vacuum pack machine, with special vacuum bags which have special channels which eliminate air pockets from around your food.
And creates an effective barrier to oxygen, moisture and freezer burn.
And i get best results if i chill my meat before i vac pack it. :lol:

reading this I think I will invest in a good vacuum pack machine , Might get good one from shopping channel on sky

I wrap tightly in cling film then into freezer bag. However it doesn't stay in the freezer long enough to get freezer burn.

Vacuum pack is the answer. TIP: If vacuum packing something a bit gooey like mince or liver it is best to open freeze it on a tray first - this stops the vacuum pressure sucking blood from the meat into the bag.

You can suck the air out of the bag manually, not as good as a vacuum packer but does the job and reduces freezer burn/rot..

I find it helps if you dry the meat, put it in a freezer bag, squeeze all the air out and tie it up tightly. The main problem is if the bag is not done up properly and re-opens in the freezer...

Has anyone got any good ideas to prevent venison which is packed in freezer bags and put in the freezer from getting 'burnt'?

Thanks.

Buy a vacuum packing machine and an assortment of bags. Weschenfelder are local to me (7 miles anyway). I bought a machine from them maybe five years ago and it was about £150. It wasn't the base model, one step up. not the same but similar to the one shown. The base model was about £100. They are good people to deal with. I've no financial connection with them, apart from being a customer.

Vacuum Packing Machines | Weschenfelder Sausage Making

-JMS

Last edited:
Back