monster buck shot in scotland

Thanks George, could not remember what area the difference was in exactly...

As for Aberdeenshire overtaking Fife... it will be addressed when I get over the water to assist my mate (he's not yours so as Billy Jean would say 'beat it...' he is keeping the big ones for me :lol:)

I don't think he would trust the two of us to get let loose on his ground mate, he could end up in tears. :rofl:
Hahaha,the big ones mine;),all the small stuff comes fae the borders:stir::rofl:

At the present time the highest scoring Roe from Scotland was measured by a jury of four accredited CIC judges at 222.63 CIC points, the one below that scores 206.20, and was measured by a panel of three judges, Whitehead, Prior, and Allison.
The one at 206 stood for a long time didn't it
Has any of our judges seen this monster yet?In the words of Frank Carson "its a cracker" by the looks of things,be interesting to see what it scores when it's 3months is up

Not opening the "volume" can of worms again Mark,but volume is a big decider also in how the end score adds up.Especially with older heads with big sloping coronets the disparity between judges can be a lot,when you think that 10g equals 3 points either way.When Wolverine has his scored he PMd with the result and said that there was a difference between the original score and the secondary of quite a few points,so i said it must have been volume and he confirmed this.Not sure if you remember,but years ago at Game Fairs they used to be so particulate about the volume,but it seems now to be a wee bit hurried.As a CIC judge said last year,they have became a victim of their own success and maybe have to get through them quicker with the amount they are getting.Tough job,and it would be good to see consistency througout the board which i think they have improved on lately.

I would definately agree with that. I've been told by Alan Alison that a midpoint should be found on the coronetts if they are sloping. Having watched him do the measurement on an old head I had the water was definately going up the inside of the pedicles but a good amount of the outside edge of the coronetts were still out of the water.

The old record I'm sure was 207cic and was shot on ground I know very well, held the record for about 17 years, before the Angus buck was found.

I'm pretty certain the current SCOTTISH record isn't as high as 222cic but I have been wrong before! :doh:

"Marco Pierre White’s buck from Broadlands in Hampshire, now the established BRITISH record at 222.65 CIC points, which exceeds by 12.4 points the previous record, a Sussex buck shot by Michael J." Shooting Times.

Last edited:
You are certainly wrong this time, as I posted earlier current 222.63, second 206.20, from the current UKTC records of the CIC.

Slightly away from the head itself, but just to say the stalker Klaus is a great guy. Did his DSC1 a while back with us and was a consumate professional throughout - and great company. Very pleased he got such a great result.

I just find that the underhand behaviour of the Aberdonians distaste full. They cheat at foot ball if they dont get there own way they make sex slaves of sheep and now they are dragging large bucks up from fife just to claim they have good bucks .Were will it all end. :oops:

Last edited:
I just find that the underhand behaviour of the Aberdonians distaste full. They cheat at foot ball if they dont get there own way they make sex slaves of sheep and now they are dragging large bucks up from fife just to claim they have god bucks .Were will it all end. :oops:

Aye true enough we are a bad lot, but there is worse.

Did you hear about the blind rabbit who when hopping down a path bumped into a frog coming in the opposite direction, let me past said the rabbit, no said the frog after arguing for some time, the frog said tell you what if you can guess what I am, I will let you pass, rabbit rubs his paws over the frog, yuck you are all slimey, and my
you have such a big mouth, Oh this is to easy I know exactly what you are your a FIFER:coat:

Aye true enough we are a bad lot, but there is worse.

Did you hear about the blind rabbit who when hopping down a path bumped into a frog coming in the opposite direction, let me past said the rabbit, no said the frog after arguing for some time, the frog said tell you what if you can guess what I am, I will let you pass, rabbit rubs his paws over the frog, yuck you are all slimey, and my
you have such a big mouth, Oh this is to easy I know exactly what you are your a FIFER:coat:
:rofl:
I must say though BT,I know one fifer who is a very,very,very,very nice man.What do you think Jamross:D;)

I just find that the underhand behaviour of the Aberdonians distaste full. They cheat at foot ball if they dont get there own way they make sex slaves of sheep and now they are dragging large bucks up from fife just to claim they have good bucks .Were will it all end. :oops:
Cheat at fitba,comin fae a Rangers fan:rofl::rofl:

Mr Steen Brieth,Danish CIC measurer has provisionally measured this monster at 217.7 points back in Denmark,this could get interesting,apparently going to be measured at Scone,still under the 3 months wait for it to be dry,it's looking big.
Is it not better to leave Hebridean until after its dried and then there is no need for provisional measurement,the head could drop quite a bit in weight(it's still going to be big though,perhaps not as large as the long standing record @206cic)
Should we be measuring these big heads as little as a week after they've been shot,no criticism a question really as to why do this when CIC want a roe trophy to be dried for 90 days after being shot,surely a head such as this will not be expected to be paid for until after the 90day dry out time,just curious.

While the CIC UKTC, would not make public comment on an individual's trophy, particularly one which it has not seen, let alone judged, the requirement for a 90 day drying out period is listed in the Red Book.
For the sake of clarity the largest scottish roe scored 222.63 CIC points, the measurement is definative. The score has been recorded and published, post 2007.
Any British roe trophy of 180 or more is rare, and for that reason,when they appear,the UKTC assess them by jury, the accepted CIC method,using a panel of accredited CIC judges, who have training in judging major trophies, and whose judgement is accepted by the parent organisation.
In our experience the situation where an individual pronounces on a final score at an early stage in the drying process often leads to disappointment, where trophies can be over valued, though in some situations the opposite happens where heads are force dried and then reabsorb moisture.
Although a number of individuals involved in stalking claim to be able to make credible weight deductions, prior to heads achieving the required drying period, in my experience the reliability of these estimates is at best poor. I would always encourage that heads are left whole and uncut, and dried in line with the instructions in the Red Book.

Mr Steen Brieth,Danish CIC measurer has provisionally measured this monster at 217.7 points back in Denmark,this could get interesting,apparently going to be measured at Scone,still under the 3 months wait for it to be dry,it's looking big.
Is it not better to leave Hebridean until after its dried and then there is no need for provisional measurement,the head could drop quite a bit in weight(it's still going to be big though,perhaps not as large as the long standing record @206cic)
Should we be measuring these big heads as little as a week after they've been shot,no criticism a question really as to why do this when CIC want a roe trophy to be dried for 90 days after being shot,surely a head such as this will not be expected to be paid for until after the 90day dry out time,just curious.

Wolverine,
I've force dried heads that have lost all their moisture in 1 week, I have a set of the scles that the cic use and monitor them regulerly throughout the process, most is lost in the first 48 hrs. Some will put on 2-4g once they go back out into the shed as Hebridean says.
It's a tough thing to guess how much a head will dry out unless it's been force dried. I'd be interested to see the formula BASC are going to use when scoring green heads as they have announced. There are a lot of factors to concider, time of season it was shot, time it's been out of velvet, age, antler density........it's never going to be exact.
I heard of a Swedish estate who are charging £100 for every cic point above 100 :eek: could be an expensive trip!!!

Hebridean,
I bow down to your superior knowledge :tiphat: I was certain when I saw it displayed at Scone it was said to be 212cic, perhaps the folk at Scotsport also though the same and thus why they are claiming a new record with this recent buck??

Interesting to see the current Scottish record is only 0.02cic points smaller than Marco Pierre Whites buck.

Regards,
Mark.

That is a cracking beast but a pre-evaluation score????? The animal is only a week old from being shot and it takes 3 months to dry before it can be measured. Thereis no wayof knowing what weight will be lost over that time. It will no doubt be a huge score but I would not be making such claims if it was mine. Does that come across as envy???? ;) :lol:

jamross65, that is a big......yes

patrick.

Its just the done thing up here ps they taste great.
piesforperi.jpg

Back