Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: can you answer this

can you answer this

a wee query for you .
    i have a farm that i shoot over with calibres upto 243 ,as it has rabbit , fox , and roe
    i also have ground that i shoot over with calibres upto 308 as it has rabbit , fox , roe, red ,and sika

heres the question , can i take the 308 onto the first farm for zeroing, as i wont be shooting deer

Of course. So long as you have permission to shoot there and a suitably conditioned FAC.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Is there not an issue with regard to what the local firearms officer has cleared that particular land for in terms of maximum permitted calibre?
    If you have an open FAC, I presume that would negate the above statement.
    David

this what i was thinking,, if land is not passed for hunting with the 308 , is it still ok to zero with it ?

Worth checking with the local firearms officer to be safe.
    Funny - I currnely have a similar problem. I have a shooting competition in 2 weeks time and both my rifles are zeroed with expanding but I need to zero for FMJ. I have permission for land with maximum calibre of .243 so I can zero the .243, but I won't be able to with my .308.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_stalker View Post
    this what i was thinking,, if land is not passed for hunting with the 308 , is it still ok to zero with it ?
    As I understand it. It doesn't matter what the local force as passed the land for so long as your certificate has open conditions for the 308 with regards to where you use it. It is then up to you to decide whether or not you can shoot safely there.

If you have an open cert then it is up to you the liabilities are all yours mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    Worth checking with the local firearms officer to be safe.
    Funny - I currnely have a similar problem. I have a shooting competition in 2 weeks time and both my rifles are zeroed with expanding but I need to zero for FMJ. I have permission for land with maximum calibre of .243 so I can zero the .243, but I won't be able to with my .308.
    Where is the problem? Surely all the conditions are on your certificate? The conditions will specify if there are restrictions on where you use each calibre and what for. If a condition states you are only to shoot a specific rifle with an approved club then you can't use it for targets on a farm. If you have a dual purpose target/deer rifle and if the condition states,

'..and for zeroing on ranges, or land over which the holder has permission to shoot with that class of firearm from the person by whom shooting rights are owned or from .......'

, then in this case it doesn't matter what type of bullet you are using because you are within the law and all of your conditions. Zeroing is zeroing. You are not shooting deer with the FMJ are you so no offence is committed?

The problem is we don't know whether Scots_stalker has an open or closed certificate, in which case the maximum calibre permitted for that land will be relevent.

Yes we do he is in Lanarkshire scotland we dont get closed certs Us scots can be trusted