Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is the price of a decent scope getting out of hand?

is the price of a decent scope getting out of hand?

just recently ive decided i would like a change from my s+b precission hunter for somthing a little more basic so i had a little look at the internet for few ideas and ive basicaly setteled on another s+b or an upgrade to a swaro and this is where my trouble started. 1st i looked at a 8x56 s+b and thought yeah just what i need so when i tryed to find out about avalibilty i hit my 1st brick wall in that schmidt dont seem to be importing and scopes in at the minute due to a large contract with the us forces but i could go direct to schmidt with a waiting time of around 9mths. so for me thats a no go-er and bang goes a scope for around the 650 mark so i then looked at a swaro 8x50 for around the 750 mark and spoke to my local gunshop today who inturn spoke to there swaro dealers about avalibilty and then the second brick wall, swaro dont make them or the 8x56 model anymore. ok i thought lets look at a swaro variable scope now and basicaly im now looking at over 1000, ive got to admit thats a lot of bloody money and ok the kit i would be getting for that money would be very good but still a grand for a high end entry level scope cant be right

Getting?/

It's been out of hand for a long time if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Getting?/

It's been out of hand for a long time if you ask me.
    Absa.....blimin.....lutely !

S&B's have steadily increased over the past 8 -10 years, there no longer the bargin they were. Unless I got a good S/h one I wouldn't bother with S&B - straight to Zeiss.

How about Minox?
    They are bringing out a new 30mm tube scope in the summer.
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    just recently ive decided i would like a change from my s+b precission hunter for somthing a little more basic so i had a little look at the internet for few ideas and ive basicaly setteled on another s+b or an upgrade to a swaro and this is where my trouble started. 1st i looked at a 8x56 s+b and thought yeah just what i need so when i tryed to find out about avalibilty i hit my 1st brick wall in that schmidt dont seem to be importing and scopes in at the minute due to a large contract with the us forces but i could go direct to schmidt with a waiting time of around 9mths. so for me thats a no go-er and bang goes a scope for around the 650 mark so i then looked at a swaro 8x50 for around the 750 mark and spoke to my local gunshop today who inturn spoke to there swaro dealers about avalibilty and then the second brick wall, swaro dont make them or the 8x56 model anymore. ok i thought lets look at a swaro variable scope now and basicaly im now looking at over 1000, ive got to admit thats a lot of bloody money and ok the kit i would be getting for that money would be very good but still a grand for a high end entry level scope cant be right
    Yep. I know its not exactly a normal stalking scope but I bought a schmidt pm2 for a target rifle four years ago priced at 1650 however the same unit is now kicking into 2650 (rrp). How on earth can this be justified? All that seems to happen is that we are a very small market in the Uk with five major importers who seem to play musical chairs with the distribution. Sorry about the winge but I share your frustration.

Well it's simples .................................................. ............ they increase the price until the punters start squeaking and stop buying then they graciously reduce the prices just enough to get sales moving again.

it is a disgrace,paul just phoned me saying he found a old shooting mag today and had a look at how much his scope was then,in 5 years the price of his ziess scope has doubled ie the same scope had gone up by a 1000 in 5 years

I travel to the USA a lot, and I looked at buying a Swarovski or Zeiss but they are no cheaper there - $3000 for a Swarovski that would be 2000 here so there was no point once you factor in returns/service etc, so it's not necessarily due to importers into the UK. And let's face it there is a considerably bigger market in the USA than here even if they prefer home-grown makes such as Redfield, Leupold et al. I believe some of the Zeiss and even Swarovski are assembled in the USA to avoid import duty, but the pricing is still pretty much comparative to the UK.
    And I have no problem with companies making profits.