.22 or .20ppc

soother223

hi there guys,
thinking of saving up over the next few months & re-barreling my .22ppc... got a 20" barrel on it at the moment as if was built as a bit of an all round gun, now i want to turn it into a more varminting type of rifle..

so question is... do i get say a 24" barrel in .22 or get one in .20?

i just want to use it for long range crow bashing with the odd fox should it wander by...

I quite like the .22! it's cracking 50g noslers out at around 3450fps! an was of the thought that another 4" could up that by a few fps.. not quite sure by how much though?
then i have my buddy who is 204 mad! trying to sway me over to the 20 side..

what do you guys think?

oh! an any recommedations of make of barrel?

Just had a Pac-Nor barrel on a 22ppc. I'll let you know how it works out, but I am sure it'll be capable of being more accurate than I am!

I have another which still has its factory barrel, which is down to about 18". Frankly, it still does everything I ask of it. Not sure I'd re-barrel just to get a longer tube. If you're going to the 20 calibre side, I'd keep your 22 ppc as it is and get a 20 tac.

what is the advantage of PPC over BR?
I just read a lot about the .22BR which looks awesome, seems very simple to neck down stock BR brass too

Supposedly PPC is the most accurate cartridge out to 300 yards, BR takes over past that ?
Or at least that is what I understood from my reading.
I will find out for myself having just bought a 6mm ppc as a fox small deer rifle, and just finished loading
the first 100 rounds for it, which was a bit of a culture shock after only loading for .22 hornet and .223 rem in the past.

Neil. :)

, seems very simple to neck down stock BR brass too

Just how simple is necking down ?
Say 7.62 down to 6mm, is it just a case of running it through a full length die ?
The idea of necking 7.62 x 39 down to 6mm ppc is attractive to me as the .220 russian brass (base case for 6ppc) is around £100 per 100
7.62 x 39 is £35 per 100.

Neil. :)

apparently 6mm Br to .22br is just a case of running into a .22br die.
from what I read run out can be an issue but only until fireformed and can be navigated by rotating case during semi sizing

cant comment on 7.62 to 6mmppc

hi there guys,
thinking of saving up over the next few months & re-barreling my .22ppc... got a 20" barrel on it at the moment as if was built as a bit of an all round gun, now i want to turn it into a more varminting type of rifle..

so question is... do i get say a 24" barrel in .22 or get one in .20?

i just want to use it for long range crow bashing with the odd fox should it wander by...

I quite like the .22! it's cracking 50g noslers out at around 3450fps! an was of the thought that another 4" could up that by a few fps.. not quite sure by how much though?
then i have my buddy who is 204 mad! trying to sway me over to the 20 side..

what do you guys think?

oh! an any recommedations of make of barrel?

You'd get about an extra 150fps with a 24" barrel on average. 26" barrels push up past 3600fps with 50 grainers.

I think the varmint game is changing with the availability of cheap reliable rangefinders. I'd rather a 22PPC twisted for the 75 grain A-max and a "ballistic turret" now

Back