Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GWP's are great

GWP's are great

Sunday and the phone rang, it was a fellow stalker who had lost a deer.

He had tried to track it with his two labs but they could not keep-up.

Paul had tried and failed with his Hanoverian it was the same as the labs and just could not keep-up across the heather which was interspersed with small gorse patches.

H and I arrived with our GWPs we looked at the sign it looked as though the shot was low and a bit back.

The deer was last seen about going into a small patch of gorse around 700m from the shot site so we cast the dogs off. My GWP soon found the trail and flushed the deer from the gorse the knee high heather was hard going but after around 600m my bitch pulled the hind down by her back leg, leaving H's dog to go for the kill at the neck. By the time we had arrived it was all over all that was left to do was the gralloch and treat the dogs to a piece of diaphragm each.

Of all the deer dogs I have had or seen GWP's are without doubt the buisiness for strong runners, there size, pace and strength maake them ideal for pulling a deer down.

The only thing better than a GWP is two GWP's

2 X labs and a Hanoverian
    2x GWPS, 600/700/MTS !CHASE ,
    Should have gone to STONES dog day where your mate could have learnt about shot placement and effects!!! WOULD HAVE saved the dogs such a long chase, YUP. 5 x dogs for a result !! HAVE A WORD EH !!
    TRAPPER

Dont really get your post trapper.

Everyone has a bad shot sometimes we knew the shot was back and low from the strike.

2 dogs really for a result both GWP's either one would have done it on their own but they were both there and work really well as a pair.

How could the long chase be avoided

The point I was making was that the Labs and Hanoverian were not up to the job of taking on a strong runner on the ground we were on, it needed a free running dog with the pace, strength and guile to bring the hind down and swiftly end its suffering.

stand buck
    No offence intended
    Just that your mate should consider training up his dogs for the job.
    Regards Trapper

Quote Originally Posted by Stand Buck

How could the long chase be avoided

The point I was making was that the Labs and Hanoverian were not up to the job of taking on a strong runner on the ground we were on, it needed a free running dog with the pace, strength and guile to bring the hind down and swiftly end its suffering.
    Stand Buck
    i actually thought Trapper made a valid point here

as the deer was still alive and very much so, from your wording of the event
    any dog in reality could of followed the fresh scent
    if your mate's labs + hanoverian had been trained properly for woking freely, then it should of been an easy enough job for them to bring the deer to baye i would of thought, especialy working a brace of labs
    but each persons perspective on training is different

but had any of them been worked on a long leash then it should of been as easy to get up close and personnel for a telling shot
    even in gorse,
    as the deer would more likely to move from bush to bush than try and run into the next county if not pushed on hard by dogs running freely and probally a stressed out stalker to boot, all adds to future experience in the end for your mate
    good job you had a pair of dogs at hand to run down and catch the hind
    if you had the dogs on a leash to start with could you of got in a follow up shot before the hind legged it, could of saved a 600 yard chase
    if no shot available or you missed ,
    then slip the dogs , just a thought
    but the end result the same
    one gathered hind, well done for going to the rescue
    hope you made your mate drag it back after that

ATB
    stone

Hmmm

Sounds a bit like making the best of a bad job. Good news that the dog found the deer and brought it down.
    Patience and skill could have brough the animal to ground possibly a lot quicker and more humanly than reported. I leave the statement open as I was not there to wittness it.
    If one can stalk in v slowly and quietly one can get quite close before the beast takes off. If a dog rushes in, the response will usually be a long chase.
    GWP,s are fast but bullets are faster still

Mark

Hmmm

Sounds a bit like making the best of a bad job. Good news that the dog found the deer and brought it down.
    Patience and skill could have brough the animal to ground possibly a lot quicker and more humanly than reported. I leave the statement open as I was not there to wittness it.
    If one can stalk in v slowly and quietly one can get quite close before the beast takes off. If a dog rushes in, the response will usually be a long chase.
    GWP,s are fast but bullets are faster still

Mark

The ground we were on has gorse that is so thick the dogs can hardly get into it. So a follow up shot at a bayed or laid up deer is a total non-starter even with a carbine or a pistol.

The only way you could shoot would be to hope you could pick the right place where the deer would come out of the cover.

A long lead is also a non-starter as the dog would just get caught up in the gorse.

Horses for courses here really, every follow up is different and had we been in more open ground or close to roads we may have tackled it differently. I prefer the set the dog off and let do its job, she scents well and will even put down a stag.

On the ground I stalk where there is lots of cover and little scope for first shot and virtually nil scope for a follow-up shot this method works well and provides the quickest and end to the situation.

Another thing to think about is if you are crawling though gorse what is your backstop for your follow up shot?