Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rail mounted scopes vs rings

Rail mounted scopes vs rings

Rail mounting on scope, as opposed to using rings, are more secure (positive fixing rather than friction), look neater, don't put pressure on the tube and prevent potential canting. Why are they not more popular?

I totally agree
    but having just sold two I can tell you people struggle to justify the cost of the mounts and the selection of manufacturers is limited.
    we need more big names to offer rail mounts before they will take off IMO

But the rails are not commonised between the different manufacturers which seems a bit irish to me (for info I come from an irish family, before I get slagged from the PC brigade) due to the low volumes involved (economies of scale etc) the mounts would then be one for all makes too.
    Martin

I got quoted 170 + VAT for some rail mounts to go with my bases.

So I went with a normal tube so I can use my existing mounts.

How about this for a suggestion? The ideal mounting solution would be for all rifles to standardise on the picatinny rail system and all scope manufacturers to standardise on a quick release rail type interface that is fixed to the scope and would connect direct with the picatinny rail. Think about it.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Some interesting points. Economies of scale certainly comes into it, as does a standardised mounting system.

eggy s - I originally bought Apel mounts for my Swarovski-to-Sako, they cost me an arm and a leg and they also mounted the scope very high, I have since bought Recknagel rail mounts (beautifully made) that fit perfectly onto Sako Optilock bases - and at similar price as rings - 65 and they mount the scope much lower. That makes the mounting price no different than using a ring Optilock mount combo - contact Alan Rhone if you're interested. So if anyone is looking for a virtually unused set of Apel mounts for a Swarovski rail and Sako, let me know...........

The Picatinny rail option is a good point with a standardised rail mount, let the competition begin (VHS vs. Betamax again...?)

It has always perplexed me since fitting my first scope to my first rifle about 30 years ago - a Tasco 4x40 to my Weihrauch HW35 (and I've still got it!), that a standard system has not been adopted to both mechanically secure the scope and have it mounted square to elliminate canting. I know it may be because of cheap mounts or cheap scope, but I have never been able to remove the canting, and when I tighten the mount screws it rotates the scope in the rings, despite using differnet mounts, I just got used to it in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    How about this for a suggestion? The ideal mounting solution would be for all rifles to standardise on the picatinny rail system and all scope manufacturers to standardise on a quick release rail type interface that is fixed to the scope and would connect direct with the picatinny rail. Think about it.
    Picatinny rifles are fine for black combat or sniper type rifles, but IMHO they look horrible. I agree with standardisation - for many years the Germans had a a fairly standard prism type rail on the bottom of scopes, but do we really want to put castles / crenallations all over the top of a fine rifle. Even worse is you can now change a traditional claw mount for a Picatinny Rail on a beutiful side by side or over and under rifle.

It's a good point Heym SR20, but could you not just have 2 horizontal slots that suited a Picatinny rail on a best rifle that suited the mount, but without the multitude of grooves as per a traditional Picatinny rail, probably wouldn't look much different from a claw mount? I agree would not look pretty if you had a long ridge of grooves.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Agree. It's not pretty, but it's the expensive way forward. Ruger and Sako among others have missed the point. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Agree. It's not pretty, but it's the expensive way forward. Ruger and Sako among others have missed the point. Regards JCS
    Not so much missed the point, but a sound business decision to make Sako owners buy Sako mounts as well.