Rail mounted scopes vs rings

Yes it would be nice to have one standard. I currently have a number of different mounts and systems on my rifles, it would be nice to have just one system and the ability to swap scopes around if I wanted to.

I have managed to do that - I have two Sako 85 centrefire rifles. The Recknagel rail mount for my Swarovski fits the Optilock base perfectly, the S&B with Optilock and rings. I have swapped scopes/mounts between the two 85s with only an elevation dial-in on the scope to re-zero.

Apart from my ruger #1, all my centerfire rifles have piccatinny rails, gives me the option of doing some long range plinking with the 222 using the scope off the 338, or putting the zeiss that normally lives on the 222 onto the 14"barrelled TRG for woodland hog busting, or swapping the 6x scope on the blackout to a 24x vortex for some long range subsonic target work just for giggles. Nobody is saying all guns should be fitted with a pic rail, but it does open up lots of possibilities if you like to do more than stalk deer to 100 yards

Back