Northern Deer Seminar

OK, bambislayer - got it, found it on a google search.
Too late, but I would have liked to have gone along to that.
David

Stalking unfortunatley, :D .

We'll need to get together at some point!

TJ

I'll feed back any gossip.

I see that an infamous land agent from Banbury is talking about deer/grouse! He looks after places in the Angus Glens, it'll be interesting to see how he goes down!

Sorry to have missed the snow goose get together, will get along to the next one.

Well just back and no blood shed!

Some good points, the discussion on welfare was interesting and thought provoking all be it a tad academic.

Rory Putman was good and tried to provoke discussion as always.

Both Nial Rowantree & David Alison gave excellent presentations on how the new deer code effects them and how they are embracing sustainable deer management.

The said man from Banbury, no longers blames deer for grouse decline but the fact that they are too time consuming, so it's best to either fence them out or shoot them all so that keepers can concentrate on grouse management! Peter Fraser (now retired!) skewered him on the allegations of raptor persecution at Milden, this was bypassed after a short intake of breath by a slightly stunned and embarrassed audience, great to see SNH squirm in awkward situations.

Of course some mention was made of Glenfeshie, but other than the usual misconceptions and wildly inaccurate Chinese whispers it was a positive event and deer management has come along way from the discussions that were being( or not) had 20 years ago.
So all in all a good event.

How many none Public staff turned up. PS nice some one asks the questions.

Not sure on how many folk were there, I would think 100 plus. From SNH etc I would say the usual old DCS staff (6) who were running the event , I saw maybe 3 or 4 FC folk and the rest were private owners, keepers etc.

Back