Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thoughts on a rebuild project

thoughts on a rebuild project

I have a potential candidate for a rebuild project, currently an old FN 98 Mauser action Schultz and Larsen in a short custom stock (to be scrapped), chambered in 6.5x55 swede with an Otterup barrel that's not worn out, but seen a bit of the world so to speak!

any thoughts on what to do with it? I was thinking new stock, trigger work/replacement, new barrel in a more exciting chambering (6.5-284 or other).

open to suggestions and any crazy thoughts you may have.

Why think about a 6.5 x284, its a renowed long distance cal. It would be wasted on you if your other posts are anything to go by
    Al

ho ho ho, very good ;-)

I was actually thinking it might be a good chambering for a small plains game rifle, or for a bit of plinking.

Account Suspended
    If you do pick a "moderne" ... short and fat's, where it's at... kinda case, like 6.5-284, be warned, they seldom feed quite as nicely as the favourite oldies... (mine's OK.. ish) but if you're messin' around on the "plains" a bad feeding rifle could make for a very upsetting last few moments of your life... just a thought.

Modern short and fat cases are great, and produce good accuracy, but they run at high pressures, In a hot African climate the last thing you want is extraction problems, caused by overpressure. Better to run a larger case at a lower pressure to achieve the same result.

i dont think he will be shooting Buffalo or DG with a 6.5xAnything that will necessitate life threatening "reload or die" scenarios!

you should go through my brass collection and look at some interesting chamberings!
    6.5-284 looks interesting
    equally the 7x64

Not very original but why not build a really nice 6.5 x 55!! Everything will fit a new barrel will be great, the magazine will feed well and it will always be a classic.

David.

Account Suspended
    I don't know what PKL really fancies shooting with this "project" rifle ... but , having given it a bit of thought, in his circumstances I'd be thinking hard about the world wide applicability of .338 Federal.

Case length and bolt face size should be no serious problem, case availablity on new cases might be an issue but a resized .308win is the easy option.

Load a slow(ish) 180 grainer for a comfy, sub 150m, Deer round and a fully loaded 250 grainer looks like it would do nicely for Europe boar (inc France) and bigger stuff beyond (including the Plains of Africa). Those .338's come with some lovely ballistics too, you know.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    i dont think he will be shooting Buffalo or DG with a 6.5xAnything that will necessitate life threatening "reload or die" scenarios!

you should go through my brass collection and look at some interesting chamberings!
    6.5-284 looks interesting
    equally the 7x64
    I've got a 6.5-284 and I will not be taking it to Africa to shoot game.

What one might "expect" on the plains is not necessarily what one will get.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    Not very original but why not build a really nice 6.5 x 55!! Everything will fit a new barrel will be great, the magazine will feed well and it will always be a classic.

David.
    That was my thought.

Why not leave it as a Swede but have it configured for you as you'd like it. (Easy to get ammo for anywhere and a very capable calibre).

Having said that I'll agree with Tamus that 7x64 is interesting: Got one on order.

ATB,

Scrummy