Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roe Calls

Roe Calls

Just out of interest what calls do you use for the Bucks?? I used to use a call gifted to me from Mr Prior himself. It was a reed blown call from East Europe and damn effective. This time Im going to be using the Nordic Call.

Nutty

I compared a Nordic to a Buttalo to see the effect of both
    It was interesting to notice that roe bucks & does all responded to a Buttalo even thou they ignored the Nordic when
    when blown moments before hand
    And I had success with the Nordic , but I felt it was nowhere as good as the Buttalo

Ben thanks for sharing I do like the sound of that call.

Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    I compared a Nordic to a Buttalo to see the effect of both
    It was interesting to notice that roe bucks & does all responded to a Buttalo even thou they ignored the Nordic when
    when blown moments before hand
    And I had success with the Nordic , but I felt it was nowhere as good as the Buttalo
    Cheers Stone. Was it the Buttalo "bulb" or the reed blown Buttalo you compared it against?

nutty

Quote Originally Posted by Ben P View Post
    I see Mr Clausen uses

Available to buy here

http://www.stalkersuk.com/product_in...d36r1h7l5j38t7

Regards

BP
    Looks like a huberus reed call only it's wooden and uses silicon bands instead of metal clips.

Its is similar to Priors call. From i will stick with the Buttalo it has with out doubt performed the best. But i will have a few ohers round my neck

I've used quite a few different ones with varying success. The Cherry wood one, the black rubber buttollo, the full set of faulhaber calls, blades of grass. The one that was the most memorable was with a primos predator reed that you place in your mouth on your tongue. At the time I was pretty new to calling roe but I had done my homework and after scanning the area thoroughly I positioned myself at one end of a clearing that I had been regularly seeing deer on. I had a bush in front of me that I could see most of the clearing from behind. I called with a series of fieps giving five to ten minute intervals inbetween. Each call must have been completely unique as you can't get the same noise twice. Anyhow. After about half hour of not seeing a thing I decided to sidestep the bush in front of me only to see a mature 6 pointer looking strait at me at no more than 20 meters away. Of course I froze for what seemed an age. After what must have been a few minutes he did a U turn and started to move off. I had my rifle back up in the sticks as quick as I could and gave another desperate fiep and he obliged with a perfect broadside at 30 meters.

I think any call can work if used right. It depends mostly on whether the buck in the area is ready and whether he likes the sound that you are producing! It might take a change of call to persuade him.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post
    Cheers Stone. Was it the Buttalo "bulb" or the reed blown Buttalo you compared it against?

nutty
    It was the black rubber bulb Buttalo

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    It was the black rubber bulb Buttalo
    Cheers Stone.