Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best foxing set up

Best foxing set up

Hi Folks

I am looking at getting a Foxing rifle,what calibre is best,is it .223?what rifle/set up? I really like the look of an AR15,looks like a real "workhorse type of tool",I have a Sako 75 in .308 for stalking etc,whats your thoughts?

Martin

Purely personal prefference Martin but I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice from the proffesional advisors on the site.

223 is good, but 22-250 is better

Personally hate AR's but each to their own, much prefer a conventional hunting rifle

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyR View Post
    223 is good, but 22-250 is better

Personally hate AR's but each to their own, much prefer a conventional hunting rifle
    Thanks for the comment,but why is 22-250 better?

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    Purely personal prefference Martin but I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice from the proffesional advisors on the site.
    I know what you mean....all part of the fun,interesting views/advice and entertainment on the way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    I know what you mean....all part of the fun,interesting views/advice and entertainment on the way!!!
    would be pretty boring without the old conflinct of interest threads me thinks . I personally use a ruger 243 mostly as I reload so cost doesn't really come into it, but enjoy doing a few with the hmr17.

Got to be a .22-250 for an off the shelf rifle.
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

a lot of the ar15's are in a 1 in 9 twist barrel and will shoot heavier bullets which will be acurate but very loopy if i were you i would get a standard 1 in 12 twist rifle in what ever flavour you like and try and run as light a bullet as possible maybe a 40gr to get it as flat as possible and make the job of foxing as easy as possible. ive shoot a lot of foxes ok not as many as a lot of others but i can honestly say the flatter the bullet the better it is just point and pull is what your after

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    a lot of the ar15's are in a 1 in 9 twist barrel and will shoot heavier bullets which will be acurate but very loopy if i were you i would get a standard 1 in 12 twist rifle in what ever flavour you like and try and run as light a bullet as possible maybe a 40gr to get it as flat as possible and make the job of foxing as easy as possible. ive shoot a lot of foxes ok not as many as a lot of others but i can honestly say the flatter the bullet the better it is just point and pull is what your after
    Thanks,point and pull is exactly what I am after.........