Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Marked" horse.

"Marked" horse.

A land owner mate of mine has not been well of late so evening times i`ve been out to the farm to give him a hand to shut in, feed, water, count livestock and whatever else needs doing.
    Last night we found the mane of one of his horses had been "tampered" with, strands had been twirled and knotted in preperation for theft at a later date.
    So, if you are in my area or know anyone that is please be vigilant and check your horses.

https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Are you certain this was in preparation for stealing?

Removal of hair from horses manes and tails has been the result in the past of some weird religious cult and occurred a few times in the East and Midlothian areas near to Edinburgh.

their all at Appleby.

We have a couple of horses and were advised by the local riding club that some horses were having a knot put in the mane by pikeys as an animal they have ear marked to pinch at later and darker date.

Quote Originally Posted by derek.snr View Post
    pikeys?
    Mmmmmm,
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

It's a natural phenomenon.
    If you look at the long manes of any mountain and moorland ponies that are running in their natural environment you'll often find a lock of hair that has uncannily become plaited and knotted.
    Our Welsh sec A cross working pony often gets his mane "plaited" in this way.
    Admittedly it can be a bit unnerving the first time you see it, as it's hard to believe that it hasn't been done by human hands.

Blog Entries
    Hi there

We have horses and this happens from time to time. Thanks to the picture I'm going to say the horse has had a really good roll and scratch of it's neck. I don't think you have much to worry about on this occasion.-

First off is this an outstanding animal among others? No point plaiting a solo horse or an old nag. Is it freeze marked? Is it fit and in work?

Plaiting was thought to be a gypsie trait. They are known to like coloured horses.

The story about plaiting broke some years ago and any thief with half a brain won't be doing it. Every pony club, riding club, dealer, and riding shop knows this trick.

We had a stunning young New Forest who did this all the time. It drove us nuts. Even had a call about it on holiday one year from someone sitting our animals.

Obviously you always need to be vigilant but I wouldn't worry overly about this one.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 12-06-2012 at 20:46.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    Hi there

We have horses and this happens from time to time. Thanks to the picture I'm going to say the horse has had a really good roll and scratch of it's neck. I don't think you have much to worry about on this occasion.-
    Ummmm, no. Definately done by human hands.

If anyone wants it for fly tying or whatever you`re welcome to it or i`ll divide it up a bit should more than one person want some.
    Then someone will end up with the knot, you`ll see it`s done by human hand.