Thread: Firearms and in car security

Firearms and in car security

Hi all

Im keen to get some advice on a lockable rifle case/make and how to secure it in a car to the seat with a wire cable lock.

Is there a particular lockable case to consider and how do you secure to the vehicle.- is there a case that is robust enough.

Or how do you guys cover this?

Thanks in advance

Brattonsound do a range of 3 specific vehicle boxes which are designed to lay flat and bolt to the floorplan, obviously the vehicle would need to be suitable. I am considering putting a semi-permanent mounting frame in my Discovery for the Brattonsound so I can take it in and out at will. I currently carry firearms with bolt out, ammunition in a separate bag and the rear cover over the load-space. Very, very, very rarely do I carry firearms where I am not going either directly to or from my ground or range. If I stay overnight I always leave it with the gamekeeper/ranger etc to put in their gun safe.
    I also use a locked aluminium framed air-travel approved case to generally transfer my firearams in the car, I put a chain through the handle and around the case and secure to the luggage shackle in the boot. These are generally avaiable - I got a shop soiled aluminium rifle case for 60 which sustained significantly more superficial damge the first time I travelleed with it over-seas!
    David
    Last edited by Virbius; 13-06-2012 at 09:10.

Thank David thats very helpful and Ill have a look at those cases

Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    Brattonsound do a range of 3 specific vehicle boxes which are designed to lay flat and bolt to the floorplan, obviously the vehicle would need to be suitable. I am considering putting a semi-permanent mounting frame in my Discovery for the Brattonsound so I can take it in and out at will. I currently carry firearms with bolt out, ammunition in a separate bag and the rear cover over the load-space. Very, very, very rarely do I carry firearms where I am not going either directly to or from my ground or range. If I stay overnight I always leave it with the gamekeeper/ranger etc to put in their gun safe.
    I also use a locked aluminium framed air-travel approved case to generally transfer my firearams in the car, I put a chain through the handle and around the case and secure to the luggage shackle in the boot. These are generally avaiable - I got a shop soiled aluminium rifle case for 60 which sustained significantly more superficial damge the first time I travelleed with it over-seas!
    David
    David... You are putting yourself in a very precarious spot by leaving your rifle with someone else! Unless that is on their ticket or they are an RFD and book it in/out you are both breaking the law and breaching the terms of your FAC... it's not like a shotgun!

This is very similar to the one I use and is approved for air transport (if you get the chance to go shooting over-seas). You can get away with a plastic case within Europe but USA regulations require an aluminium framed case and they are pretty secure. This was from a quick google serach, but there are plenty of other vendors:

http://www.avalon-guns.com/avalon/info_82981.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    David... You are putting yourself in a very precarious spot by leaving your rifle with someone else! Unless that is on their ticket or they are an RFD and book it in/out you are both breaking the law and breaching the terms of your FAC... it's not like a shotgun!
    I concur - the two I have left it with so far are licenced RFDs so I've got that base covered and I always ask - but thanks for pointing it out Vipa, very good point.
    I also keep hold of the bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    I concur - the two I have left it with so far are licenced RFDs so I've got that base covered and I always ask - but thanks for pointing it out Vipa, very good point.
    I also keep hold of the bolt.

Hi Virbius
    Thats very useful to know regarding the USA requirement as had this on my wish list so many thanks.

I use 1 of these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...FcQKfAodv1cbMQ

I keep the rifle in its slip with the bolt removed and the cable passed through the rifles action and out through the ejection port.
    The cable is then routed round a fixed solid point in the car (seat chassis) and locked with the key.
    Sorted!

Daz