Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any general interest book recommendations?

Regular Poster

Any general interest book recommendations?

Just finished reading "A Last Wild Place" by Mike Tomkies and wondered if anyone can recommend anything similar? (if you haven't read it, try looking it up, you may enjoy it). I've read many books on Africa (e.g. Capstick, Selous etc) but wondered if anyone knew of any others UK or non-Africa based? (Already read Charles St.John's "Wild Sports & Natural History of the Highlands" and William Scrope's "Days of Deer Stalking in the Scottish Highlands").

Any natural history welcome not necessarily looking for hunting etc.

Thanks!

I just started reading a book called "Classic Hunting Stories" edited by Lamar Underwood. Very american with hunting stories by Roosevelt, Wheelen, etc. But if you fancy something different, it's a good read. I got it here: http://www.anglebooks.com

The Venison hunters By Mike Bennett writing about the venison industry in New Zealand from 1920,s to 1970,s
    A literary master piece containing accounts of humour, dismay and a very personal in-depth insight into the daily life of the professional hunter in New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Foss View Post
    William Scrope's "Days of Deer Stalking in the Scottish Highlands").
    Whats that book like? I have a beautiful first edition sitting next to me here and I have never read it. Partly because I don't want to damage the book

The snowfly, a novel, by Joseph Heywood.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Stop looking and go straight to Amazon and buy the Jim Corbett omnibus 1+2, all of his work in a couple of volumes. If that doesn't fit the bill and cover natural history, hunting, excitment etc then nothing will. Glyn.

If you liked Mike Tomkies, try something from Lea McNally. Also try ian thompsons isolation shepherd & the long horizon

If you haven't read it already, Jungle man (the story of major pretorius if i spelt it right) or Alaska's wolf man (the story of Frank Glasser).

Jungle man is unputdownable!!

Ezzy

+1 for Jim Corbett omnibus 1+2 .You can pick these two books up on Evil Bay quite cheap and they are a really good read.Killed 33 maneaters in 30 years .My favourite is the maneating leopard of Rudraprayag which was responsible for over 400 deaths.It actually walked over a room full of sleeping pilgrims killed a woman at the far end of the room and carried her back over them without anyone knowing what had happened.In his hunt for this leopard Corbett became the hunted several times before he settled accounts.Well worth a read .
    Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    Stop looking and go straight to Amazon and buy the Jim Corbett omnibus 1+2, all of his work in a couple of volumes. If that doesn't fit the bill and cover natural history, hunting, excitment etc then nothing will. Glyn.

books worth a read

round the world with rod and rifle.

the green hell (by sasha semil, he was a fella a panthalero)

something different but about a family in zim around the 1980 fight for so called independence. dont lets go to the dogs tonight.

don t get much time to read these days with the devalueing of the pound never mind still bass in the sea and roe in the hedgerow.