Testing the water...

j0e_bl0ggs

This may have some promise;

(at least I do not need to deal with sheet metal benders!!!)

How many of you would be interested in a complete swaging set up along the lines of the corbin csp-1 system?
That would be a swaging press and dies.

Interest and being able to afford and use are different things sadly. Have been looking at swaging stuff for years and it's all so darned expensive.

i would be interested in dies if the price was right i have a fly press i would want to use but like brit it all depends on costs really, atb wayne

swaging dies in the UK at last. How much for a set for the .243 Joe? will they fit in my lee cast press?

swaging dies in the UK at last. How much for a set for the .243 Joe? will they fit in my lee cast press?

Will be compatible with Corbins offerings, I would like to offer the complete package.
The reason is that dies for the reloading presses are more complicated to make.

Ahhh well it appears that will price me out just like all the others I have looked at. The Nalan looked a good idea until one saw the prices.

what sort of costings would the full kit run to out of interest as the press will be the expensive part in ,atb wayne

what sort of costings would the full kit run to out of interest as the press will be the expensive part in ,atb wayne

I am aiming for;

Dies around the £500
Press around £400

That is a guesstimate - as yet there is still the possibility that quotes I receive may not even match that!
I am in talks with some engineering firms to see if it can be done.
So far the response here and on other forums is 'light' so I can only assume that everyone is happy with the bullets they buy!

And a question for Brit, how much would you be prepared to pay?

Joe, like you being a toolmaker i am able to make my own dies etc.....however the reasons why i have not gone down the swaging route is, 1) I doubt i could make bullets as good as the Berger Varmint bullets i currently use and 2) at the rate of usage of 200-300 a year £900 would buy me about 3400 bullets which would last me about 12 years.
If you could convince that i culd make a better bullet then i would look into it but somehow i donr think you can.

Ian.

Joe prepared and can afford are two different things. That is why I have been working towards casting and paper patching. Far less expense involved and for the larger calibres that I am looking at feeding this paper patched route has the potential to fill very well.

Rifles I have been looking at to feed are the Husqvarna Model 46 in 9.3x57 which has over sized grooves and the 303 BSA sporting rifle that has just had a new "Ball Burnished" barrel fitted to it. Later I was sort of thinking perhaps the .270 might be a possiblity especially for range practice..

Over the years I have gather a lead pot, Lyman 450 sizer plus a Saeco lubrisizer. Lyman single cavity mould handles and a couple of 0.358" moulds. Have about a Cwt of lead waiting to be processed just need to sort out somewhere to set it up and get my bench fixed up.

£900 would be a pipe dream to be honest it generally takes me a couple of months to put enough aside for a days stalking.

Thank you for the replies guys!

Whitebeard, you basically wrote the argument that I expected to hear. I was not out to convince anyone about anything, just gauge a response.

Brit, It was something that I was willing to look at.
I wanted to try and assemble a package that would keep the price down, as one-off's these things are truly a bear to deal with.
I understand the problems with disposable income really that is why I asked the question!

Well you asked at the worst possible time as right now my disposable income is zero. Car tax is due :banghead: that always hits hard plus I just paid out for those Lee Target Model "Zero Error" Rifle Loaders. Checked the bank yesterday and due to my recent buying of bits and bobs to add to the collection it held £3.04 :oops: so horns in and get some money back in there. Next income is on Monday for what it's worth.

Better load up that scrap metal we dug out and get it down the scrappie.

Back