Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passwords - I am trying a new approach

Passwords - I am trying a new approach

I can't remember passwords, so I am trying to use technology to help me out with the perennial how to remember my password issue. Today I bought the following software:

https://lastpass.com/

Anyone else use this kind of stuff? Thanks JCS

Haha, I know that feeling.
    I don't use specific software like lastpass, but I do use a Secure Login add on for mozilla so I don't have to remember individual site logins & passwords any more.

Try

IWFTP01 (then 02, 03, 04 etc or any number you care)?

as in

I Won't Forget This Password 01......etc?
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    Try

IWFTP01 (then 02, 03, 04 etc or any number you care)?

as in

I Won't Forget This Password 01......etc?
    Thanks, but that doesn't score very well. 38% on the following url. Needs to have special characters and be 20+ characters long I think. Lastpass is letting me set 64 character passwords if the application is up to it.

http://www.passwordmeter.com/

Secondly, I log onto lots of websites and the recommendation is not to use the same password on any two sites.

LastPass - Password Manager, Form Filler, Password Management is working well, except with IE8 at work. Regards JCS

why not use an old address? swapping letters for numbers in places.

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    why not use an old address? swapping letters for numbers in places.
    Bob. It's a rare day that I don't use ten different passwords and for things like HR, I might log on once or twice a year. Over the course of a year, I probably access over a 100 distinct systems. One option for the less frequently used systems is just to request a password reset each time you use them. Then use a password generator to set a strong password and then forget it.

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Thanks JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 23-06-2012 at 12:24. Reason: use a password generator

This all sounds very worrying and a bit OTT, but I'm a complete novice at on-line security. I'm not sure what the point of changing passwords regularly is. If the website you're using can be hacked into then your new concoction is just as insecure as the last one.

Surely you need something which is fairly static and memorable to you so you're not likely to forget it, seek outside help, or have to write it down. You could use a randomizer and memorise a meaningless character string, but wouldn't want to be doing that too often or you'll lose track. You could invest in a bit of encryption software or generator as you've done, but that costs money and is out of your complete control.
    The only way I can operate the couple of dozen sites I access is to use the same password (gasps) where 8 characters max. is the practical limit. I put some sort of keyword into a form which no-one can guess. I use scottish gaelic (which hardly anyone knows) and has a bizarre grammar that few understand, often including me ..... noun forms are unfathomable. It makes my PSW unpredictable so maybe quite hard to crack, and that's about all that bothers me.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    ..The only way I can operate the couple of dozen sites I access is to use the same password (gasps) where 8 characters max. is the practical limit. I put some sort of keyword into a form which no-one can guess. I use scottish gaelic (which hardly anyone knows) and has a bizarre grammar that few understand, often including me ..... noun forms are unfathomable. It makes my PSW unpredictable so maybe quite hard to crack, and that's about all that bothers me.
    How does your password score on http://www.passwordmeter.com/ ? Regards JCS

I scored 32%!!! the wife scored 83% and the bairn 77% - Maybe I need to have a rethink.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    This all sounds very worrying and a bit OTT, but I'm a complete novice at on-line security. I'm not sure what the point of changing passwords regularly is. If the website you're using can be hacked into then your new concoction is just as insecure as the last one.

Surely you need something which is fairly static and memorable to you so you're not likely to forget it, seek outside help, or have to write it down. You could use a randomizer and memorise a meaningless character string, but wouldn't want to be doing that too often or you'll lose track. You could invest in a bit of encryption software or generator as you've done, but that costs money and is out of your complete control.
    The only way I can operate the couple of dozen sites I access is to use the same password (gasps) where 8 characters max. is the practical limit. I put some sort of keyword into a form which no-one can guess. I use scottish gaelic (which hardly anyone knows) and has a bizarre grammar that few understand, often including me ..... noun forms are unfathomable. It makes my PSW unpredictable so maybe quite hard to crack, and that's about all that bothers me.
    Sounds like it could be a bit of an attraction to someone like Turing & his co workers!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!