Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: fac visit

fac visit

hi guys.
    getting abit nervous now.got my fac visit tomorrow at 4pm.just wondering what sort of things i will be asked .any ideas
    thanks
    stotty

The main questions for me were;

Where you gona use them? (prove it)
    Security? (demonstrate)
    And attitude towards firearms? (sensible/professional)

Im sure you will get more constructive reply's.

HH

just make sure your up on your rifle twist rates (generally the top 10 or so calibers), blot head spacing measurments both for your rifle and cabinet, your fac grade limitation numbers (according to BS 435725/27) and finaly brush up on target recon possistions and preformance data get this nailed and you should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    just make sure your up on your rifle twist rates (generally the top 10 or so calibers), blot head spacing measurments both for your rifle and cabinet, your fac grade limitation numbers (according to BS 435725/27) and finaly brush up on target recon possistions and preformance data get this nailed and you should be fine
    SIMPLES!!!

Crikey,I dont know have of what that even means and I have had a FAC since well,a long time.............safety,safety,safety and more safety,the you should be fine........good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    I'm not with ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just be sensible, talking like someone who is professional and respectful for their quarry, that you are aware of safe backstops and when to take and not take a shot. Yes demonstrate where you will be using it, maybe even get a map out and show how hilly the land is or how safe and that you are aware of public rights of way.
    More importantly, have the biscuits on the table and the kettle on the boil!!

You don't need good luck, just enjoy the meeting; it's the start of a very fun (and expensive) lifestyle!

Rate of twist. Head spaces. Bolt face.
    Be nice be happy. And don't take on board everything you read on here.
    Be yourself you will be fine
    Cheers Andrew

Just be honest and if you get asked anything you are not sure about reply "good question, I am not 100% so I would ask for help" On my 1st visit it was more about home security, making sure the wife etc would never have access to the keys for the safe etc. I have a 6 year old so working on the assumption that one day he may find the hidden keys I bought a digital key safe and keep the gun safe keys in there, only I have the number.

Tea, biscuits and be polite and helpful and you will be fine

Be prepared for stupid questions! They really are assuming that you're stupid. Mine asked me how far a .243 bullet could go. I thought he wanted an actual answer, but 'miles' sufficed. Back stops are a big one. He was keen to know about back stops.

Get the kettle on and chuckle to yourself because he's drinking from a slipknot mug!

show him your cuboard , put the kettle on and answer his questions , you know about safety , back stops and such , they like you to say youll use highseats in safe positions and have a chuckle with him . Dont start talking techincal crap about headspace or he will just think youre boreing or trying to be clever , just be your normal self

Mine asked me how far a .243 bullet could go. I thought he wanted an actual answer, but 'miles' sufficed.
    Yep dear ole Norman the FEO asked me that years back in Surrey ............................................. of course my answer threw him right back on his backside.

I simply said I don't know .................................................. and neither do you! When he started to huff and puff and spout some phamplete nonsense they carry I simply said but if we have angle of departure of the bullet, muzzle velocity, drag CoD (drag), elevation, temperature it's possible to work out how far "THAT" bullet will travel in an ideal situation ................. his face was a picture. Then showing him quickly some of the maths and tech stuff in the Vhit 1st edition data manual made him see that there is a bit more to it than he thought.

My maths without looking it all up and working hard at it is not good enough for such calculations. Maths never was a strong suit with me. An example of how a difference of Drag can effect ranging of a bullet is when the US switched to the 180 Grn BT spizter from the 150 Grn flat based bullet as they found the new 180 Grn bullet flew so much further it put a lot of their national Guard ranges out of commission due to lack of enough safety zone. Off the top of my head the extreme range of the new bullet was calculated at 5700 (3.2 miles) yards.